Quality control issues

PB Forum :: Transition
Quality control issues
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
Its a bummer that my first post here is something negative, especially about a company like transition.
I bought a patrol in the summer of 2020, about 8 months later I found that the lower main pivot bearing sleeve was delaminating and cracking out of the frame. A replacement front triangle was provided under warranty. About 4 months after that, I warrantied that frame for the same issue, as well as a large crack behind the shock by the rocker pivot. That was last summer, Transition was very helpful and even offered me the new version of the Patrol frame as a replacement. I was super excited about that and built it up in September as a single speed shuttle/jump bike and have since probably put like 10 hours at most on it. Fast forward to this week, I was bored so I decided to tear the whole thing down, clean it and rebuild it with a few different parts. After I stripped all the parts I went to take the rear triangle apart and all but 1 of the rear pivot bolts almost instantly rounded. I should mention I have about 2 and half years of experience as a mechanic and this is a service I regularly preform in the shop and at home. I have never belt bolts let go like these did, the metal is incredibly soft. It feels like the factory just used an impact gun and called it good. Not something I'd expect from a company or bike like this.
All this to say it feels like the QC is not there with these bike. I'm not sure if people have run into similar issues with the new bikes or past bikes. I'm out $80 of hardware and now I'm spending the afternoon drilling out the ruined ones. If you have a current version Transition and the bolts feel real tight, bring it to a shop, if they round you'll be more likely to get a warranty.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
ejvolkswagen wrote:
Its a bummer that my first post here is something negative, especially about a company like transition.
I bought a patrol in the summer of 2020, about 8 months later I found that the lower main pivot bearing sleeve was delaminating and cracking out of the frame. A replacement front triangle was provided under warranty. About 4 months after that, I warrantied that frame for the same issue, as well as a large crack behind the shock by the rocker pivot. That was last summer, Transition was very helpful and even offered me the new version of the Patrol frame as a replacement. I was super excited about that and built it up in September as a single speed shuttle/jump bike and have since probably put like 10 hours at most on it. Fast forward to this week, I was bored so I decided to tear the whole thing down, clean it and rebuild it with a few different parts. After I stripped all the parts I went to take the rear triangle apart and all but 1 of the rear pivot bolts almost instantly rounded. I should mention I have about 2 and half years of experience as a mechanic and this is a service I regularly preform in the shop and at home. I have never belt bolts let go like these did, the metal is incredibly soft. It feels like the factory just used an impact gun and called it good. Not something I'd expect from a company or bike like this.
All this to say it feels like the QC is not there with these bike. I'm not sure if people have run into similar issues with the new bikes or past bikes. I'm out $80 of hardware and now I'm spending the afternoon drilling out the ruined ones. If you have a current version Transition and the bolts feel real tight, bring it to a shop, if they round you'll be more likely to get a warranty.
It's more than transition that have soft bolts. the last 2 treks ive had - have suffered similar issues.
I owned a new norco sight and the problem was the opposite, they were too hard and snapped.

It's probably more of a raw parts Supplier problem than a bike manf problem but the bike manf will take the hit.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 12:19 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
ejvolkswagen wrote:
Its a bummer that my first post here is something negative, especially about a company like transition.
I bought a patrol in the summer of 2020, about 8 months later I found that the lower main pivot bearing sleeve was delaminating and cracking out of the frame. A replacement front triangle was provided under warranty. About 4 months after that, I warrantied that frame for the same issue, as well as a large crack behind the shock by the rocker pivot. That was last summer, Transition was very helpful and even offered me the new version of the Patrol frame as a replacement. I was super excited about that and built it up in September as a single speed shuttle/jump bike and have since probably put like 10 hours at most on it. Fast forward to this week, I was bored so I decided to tear the whole thing down, clean it and rebuild it with a few different parts. After I stripped all the parts I went to take the rear triangle apart and all but 1 of the rear pivot bolts almost instantly rounded. I should mention I have about 2 and half years of experience as a mechanic and this is a service I regularly preform in the shop and at home. I have never belt bolts let go like these did, the metal is incredibly soft. It feels like the factory just used an impact gun and called it good. Not something I'd expect from a company or bike like this.
All this to say it feels like the QC is not there with these bike. I'm not sure if people have run into similar issues with the new bikes or past bikes. I'm out $80 of hardware and now I'm spending the afternoon drilling out the ruined ones. If you have a current version Transition and the bolts feel real tight, bring it to a shop, if they round you'll be more likely to get a warranty.
It's more than transition that have soft bolts. the last 2 treks ive had - have suffered similar issues.
I owned a new norco sight and the problem was the opposite, they were too hard and snapped.

It's probably more of a raw parts Supplier problem than a bike manf problem but the bike manf will take the hit.

True there are several companies that suffer from it, santa cruz come to mind as well. I just feel its worth mentioning as there have been 2 separate issues in the last year and a half with these bikes. The torque specs are no more than 12nm for those bolts and they were well beyond that. I definitely think theres others companies preforming below standard, especially in the last couple years struggling for suppliers. I just feel there were avoidable aspects of these issues, especially in the assembly and over tightening

Posted: Feb 23, 2022 at 19:58 Quote
Mechanic and alloy spire owner here. One of my seat stay pivot bolts rounded almost immediately. Some of the softest aluminum i've felt, softer than specialized hardware. Have been chasing a significant rattle since I built her up. TR believes it is from the pivot "screw" being too long for the female-threaded pivot bolt itself, bottoming out instead of actually sandwiching the pivot stay. Frustrating no doubt

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 22:43 Quote
youngandthriving wrote:
Mechanic and alloy spire owner here. One of my seat stay pivot bolts rounded almost immediately. Some of the softest aluminum i've felt, softer than specialized hardware. Have been chasing a significant rattle since I built her up. TR believes it is from the pivot "screw" being too long for the female-threaded pivot bolt itself, bottoming out instead of actually sandwiching the pivot stay. Frustrating no doubt

Interesting, ive got two rides on my new alloy Sentinel and i've got a rattle i cant seem to find, it sounds like Cable rattle in the frame but all my cables have soft foam tubing running full length. Literally running this frame because i was having creaking issues with anther bike i sold.
I started to grease all the pivots, the shock bolts are great, solid steel... but those seatstay pivots are seriously soft, basically new wrenches i could feel them start to go so i stopped and left those ones.

EDIT: check That main lower pivot bolt(the big one for chainstays, the one that requires 19NM, Mine was not 19nm at all probably took less than 10nm to loosen)

EDIT: The way to easy remove the seatstay bolts is only put input torque through the inside 6mm bolt. mine easily released doing it this way

Posted: Feb 26, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
noideamtber wrote:
youngandthriving wrote:
Mechanic and alloy spire owner here. One of my seat stay pivot bolts rounded almost immediately. Some of the softest aluminum i've felt, softer than specialized hardware. Have been chasing a significant rattle since I built her up. TR believes it is from the pivot "screw" being too long for the female-threaded pivot bolt itself, bottoming out instead of actually sandwiching the pivot stay. Frustrating no doubt

Interesting, ive got two rides on my new alloy Sentinel and i've got a rattle i cant seem to find, it sounds like Cable rattle in the frame but all my cables have soft foam tubing running full length. Literally running this frame because i was having creaking issues with anther bike i sold.
I started to grease all the pivots, the shock bolts are great, solid steel... but those seatstay pivots are seriously soft, basically new wrenches i could feel them start to go so i stopped and left those ones.

EDIT: check That main lower pivot bolt(the big one for chainstays, the one that requires 19NM, Mine was not 19nm at all probably took less than 10nm to loosen)

EDIT: The way to easy remove the seatstay bolts is only put input torque through the inside 6mm bolt. mine easily released doing it this way
Though mine was cable rattle as well. Checked all the frame pivots, all were at spec. Went with AXS groupo and a lever-under-crotch dropper, no longer running cables in the frame. Rattle remained. Anyway the seatstay bolts sure are a PITA. New ones on the way via warranty. Was using freshie park tool allens with equal force on both sides when the rounded bolt occurred. Warranty staff has been kickass during the ordeal. Hoping shaving down the new hardware as recommended does the trick!

Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 0:38 Quote
My OneUp dropper rattles when it's all the way down, there is a ridiculous amount of rotational play.

Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 0:40 Quote
Are any of your running X2s? With LSC closed the shock has a nasty bump in it as it breaks away and becomes very harsh when riding I found. Ive had two X2s that are under 4 months old rebuilt so far under warranty. Transferred a load of chatter through the frame into my Levo and Patrol frame and sounded like a rattle. just a thought as it drove me nuts on my levo until I figured that out.

Annoyingly I have what I think is a cable rattle on my patrol. Sounds like the routing foam is banging against the frame. Minor irritation really. I checked my bolts for torque spec and they were OK although I had the lower shock bolt work loose after 3 rides. Threadlocked it since.

Posted: Feb 27, 2022 at 17:06 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Are any of your running X2s? With LSC closed the shock has a nasty bump in it as it breaks away and becomes very harsh when riding I found. Ive had two X2s that are under 4 months old rebuilt so far under warranty. Transferred a load of chatter through the frame into my Levo and Patrol frame and sounded like a rattle. just a thought as it drove me nuts on my levo until I figured that out.

Annoyingly I have what I think is a cable rattle on my patrol. Sounds like the routing foam is banging against the frame. Minor irritation really. I checked my bolts for torque spec and they were OK although I had the lower shock bolt work loose after 3 rides. Threadlocked it since.
Got rid of the X2 before riding it. Went with a DVO Topaz T3 and now a Float X

Posted: Jun 22, 2022 at 4:34 Quote
I've just had to drill out 2 seat stay pivot bolts. I couldn't believe how easily they rounded out when I went to undo them. because i'm in the UK and nobody has stock of bolts I had to order them from transition in America with. So the postage made it a very expensive set of bolts. To be fair Transition are very helpful and responsive.

It just makes me think if this happened mid riding holiday, you'd be stuffed for the sake of not making strong enough bolts on a top end mountain bike.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 11:19 Quote
I almost rounded out one of chainstay pivot bolts on my 2022 Patrol, even though I was using a quality tool, things are like cheese. Have also heard of problems with breaking shock bolts.

The bigger issue I've been seeing with QC on current gen alloy bikes is the misaligned shock bolt mount which is eating shocks on many customers bikes. Disappointing to see. But as you said at least their support is awesome, imagine this happening with YT it would be an absolute nightmare based on my prior experience.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005937
Mobile Version of Website