E-MTB for Wife

PB Forum :: eMTB
E-MTB for Wife
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 5:45 Quote
Hey guys... I have zero experience with E-MTB... Looking for some advice on what to look for.

My wife enjoys riding with us, but doesn't have the stamina or strength to keep up with our teenage boys, or even my old fat self. Considering getting her an E-Bike to help her keep up on climbs and longer rides.

That said, she won't be bombing down decents or whiping in on jumps. Just wants to ride "mild" trails and not be holding everyone else up.

She really likes the Orbea Rise Hydro.. But is the reduced power going to be enough assistance for her? Guess I don't know if she needs a light bike that feels like her trail bike or if the power of a full power bike will negate the weight?

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 6:11 Quote
I don't know what type of riding you do (bike path, singletrack, rock gardens, drops, jumps, dirt roads, sidewalks, etc), but get a bike that suits the style and terrain. A hardtail may be great or a full suspension might be the ticket - I don't know.

If she likes the Orbea Rise, then go for it. That's a sweet bike and has a good reputation for performance.

Anyway, the motor on the ebike will be more than enough for her to keep up with you. She will be in ECO mode while you guys are huffing and puffing up a hill. Then on the descent you'll can all go the same speed so it's a win. In fact, I was recently passed going uphill on singletrack by a guy on an Orbea Rise who was showing off and whistling as he rode, so I can attest to its capability from that perspective.

Good luck.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
I don't know what type of riding you do (bike path, singletrack, rock gardens, drops, jumps, dirt roads, sidewalks, etc), but get a bike that suits the style and terrain. A hardtail may be great or a full suspension might be the ticket - I don't know.

If she likes the Orbea Rise, then go for it. That's a sweet bike and has a good reputation for performance.

Anyway, the motor on the ebike will be more than enough for her to keep up with you. She will be in ECO mode while you guys are huffing and puffing up a hill. Then on the descent you'll can all go the same speed so it's a win. In fact, I was recently passed going uphill on singletrack by a guy on an Orbea Rise who was showing off and whistling as he rode, so I can attest to its capability from that perspective.

Good luck.

Thanks Ben. She wouldn't be on any too knarly.... Mostly blue trails... flow trail, some rocky / rooty sections but she is not an aggressive rider. I appreciate your advice and perspective.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 22:24 Quote
I might add, if there are obstacles in your trails that requires pushing a bike over, you both will be glad you spent the extra $ for a lighter bike. It is a sad state to ride back and find out your wife has been unsuccessfully trying to lift a 50 lb bike over a log, up a set of steps, or up a steep off-camber incline. Don’t ask me how I know.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 23:14 Quote
Shorthorn wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:

Good luck.

Thanks Ben. She wouldn't be on any too knarly.... Mostly blue trails... flow trail, some rocky / rooty sections but she is not an aggressive rider. I appreciate your advice and perspective.

Sounds like the alloy Rise would be the perfect ebike for your wife.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
GuyHero wrote:
I might add, if there are obstacles in your trails that requires pushing a bike over, you both will be glad you spent the extra $ for a lighter bike. It is a sad state to ride back and find out your wife has been unsuccessfully trying to lift a 50 lb bike over a log, up a set of steps, or up a steep off-camber incline. Don’t ask me how I know.

Thanks Guy.. This is exactly what my concern was for her with dealing with a 50lb bike!

I guess I felt like the Alloy Rise is the best option, just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005436
Mobile Version of Website