Bike upgrading advice/tips.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bike upgrading advice/tips.
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 12:54 Quote
Hi all,

I’m new to mountain biking, I got myself a boardman MHT 8.6 (link below) during lockdown and safe to say I’m addicted. I’ve a few questions about doing upgrades. The bike has a shimano 1x10 and I’m at the stage where I need to replace the cassette and I thought whilst I’m there I’d upgrade to 1x12.

Basically I’m wondering if I can just install the 12 speed cassette, derailleur and shifter and I’m good to go or is there more to it. I’d also like to install a 34 tooth chainring but I’m lost when it comes to BCD. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2368-mht-8.6-red-2021.html

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 13:51 Quote
you'll need a new chain as well.

As for BCD, take the existing chainring off and measure the distance between two opposite bolts (it stands for Bolt Circle Diameter) replace with the same BCD, but 34t

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 17:03 Quote
Cillein wrote:
Basically I’m wondering if I can just install the 12 speed cassette, derailleur and shifter and I’m good to go or is there more to it.
Thanks.

There's more to it.
You are adding two more cogs to the bike - how will they fit? I suspect your bike doesn't have the freehub that will accept the new cassette. You have to have a microspline freehub so it can accept the small, 10t cog.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/shimano-12-speed-mtb-cassettes.html
bigquotesMICRO SPLINE
Another important component of Shimano’s 12-speed mountain bike cassette is its MICRO SPLINE freehub technology, which features a lightweight construction and works seamlessly with the new small 10-tooth cog. As the name suggests, the MICRO SPLINE design includes smaller splines that help eliminate damage and gauges from the cog on the lightweight aluminum body. There is a wide array of hub and wheel manufactures that produce components compatible with Shimano’s MICRO SPLINE and 12-speed system, meaning riders don’t have to compromise when it comes to choices.
Also - why go to 12 cogs? You already have a good range of gears - what gear are you craving that you don't have? You can change from a 11 - 46 cassette to another cassette with the cog numbers you desire without adding two additional cogs. And the 10t cog on any 12 speed cassette is practically useless unless you really need to pedal downhill on paved roads.
Sunrace and other companies can help: https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms2

Good luck.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 18:44 Quote
What don't you like about the 10 spd? Is it the step to the 46 tooth cog? You must not be worried about the spread since you want a 34, so why not just go with a smaller cassette in 10 spd and leave the front alone?

Knowing why you want to change would help us help you decide.

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 22:13 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
Cillein wrote:
Basically I’m wondering if I can just install the 12 speed cassette, derailleur and shifter and I’m good to go or is there more to it.
Thanks.

There's more to it.
You are adding two more cogs to the bike - how will they fit? I suspect your bike doesn't have the freehub that will accept the new cassette. You have to have a microspline freehub so it can accept the small, 10t cog.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/shimano-12-speed-mtb-cassettes.html
bigquotesMICRO SPLINE
Another important component of Shimano’s 12-speed mountain bike cassette is its MICRO SPLINE freehub technology, which features a lightweight construction and works seamlessly with the new small 10-tooth cog. As the name suggests, the MICRO SPLINE design includes smaller splines that help eliminate damage and gauges from the cog on the lightweight aluminum body. There is a wide array of hub and wheel manufactures that produce components compatible with Shimano’s MICRO SPLINE and 12-speed system, meaning riders don’t have to compromise when it comes to choices.
Also - why go to 12 cogs? You already have a good range of gears - what gear are you craving that you don't have? You can change from a 11 - 46 cassette to another cassette with the cog numbers you desire without adding two additional cogs. And the 10t cog on any 12 speed cassette is practically useless unless you really need to pedal downhill on paved roads.
Sunrace and other companies can help: https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms2

Good luck.

That’s bollocks. SRAM SX and NX eagle are 11-50 12 speed cassettes and fit a shimano HG freehub.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 3:25 Quote
Thanks for the replies.

I was originally just gonna go with 11 speed, with slx derailleur and xt shifter for improved performance but I emailed boardman who said the wheel set can take 12 speed. So I was thinking the more the merrier, I also use the bike on roads travelling to work etc so more gears would help with cadence. I was thinking a 34t chainring to gain more top end speed and with the 50t I wouldn’t loose the climbing ability.

I did read that 12 speed takes a different free hub so boardmans reply puzzled me so thats why I decided to ask on here with people in the know.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 3:58 Quote
As long as you get a cassette that is compatible with a shimano HG (short for HyperGlide) freehub, you will be fine.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 4:15 Quote
tomhoward379 wrote:
As long as you get a cassette that is compatible with a shimano HG (short for HyperGlide) freehub, you will be fine.

Cheers

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 5:34 Quote
It depends on how much you want to change, spend. There are wide range 10 spd cassettes, and you are not going to gain that much spread with 12.

Budget, and how much are you willing or want to change on the bike?

As mentioned, Sram sx and nx use HG, but then you have to change out your entire drivetrain.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 6:47 Quote
gmoss wrote:
It depends on how much you want to change, spend. There are wide range 10 spd cassettes, and you are not going to gain that much spread with 12.

As mentioned, Sram sx and nx use HG, but then you have to change out your entire drivetrain.

^ This

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
gmoss wrote:

I’m gonna get a slx derailleur and xt shifter and appropriate chain. Cost isn’t really the issue it was just weather or not I could install the parts on my bike without having to upgrade wheels etc. If you think there’s not much point in going 12 speed I could save some cash n just go 11?

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 9:59 Quote
I was not a fan of Shimano's 11 spd. Hated the 9 tooth jump to the 46 cog, and the cassette seemed very soft, XT. Sunrace cassette had a better step to the 46, but their tolerances for fit on the hub was lacking and scored the freehub. I switched to microspline to eliminate that issue. I would stay 10 spd if the cassette has a good step to the largest cog. May even go down a couple teeth on the cass in lieu of increasing teeth on front just to keep the step good.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
Sunrace and other companies can help:https://www.sunrace.com/en/products/detail/csms2

Scoring the freehub is hardly a problem for a normal rider. I've used Sunrace and others before and if the freehub gets marred I don't care - it's invisible and doesn't effect the ride at all. It might make cassette swapping a little bothersome, but this is hardly a Sunrace problem. Freehubs get minor damage from many brands/makers but most especially on cassettes with loose, individual cog stacks. A cassette with multiple sized cogs on a single carrier will not score the freehub as badly as a loose stack of cogs. Most cassettes have the smallest cogs loose, but those also get the lowest torque applied while pedaling and it all is fine in the end.

Good luck.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:11 Quote
It was a sunrace problem for me, and it was beyond bothersome. There was a lot more play between the interface than with Shimano. Tightening did not help. Figured it may not be widespread, but QC was not that tight. The sunrace ended up so bad I almost did not get the cassette off and the damage caused me to have to buy a new freehub. Luckily I was just about ready to switch anyway and could get the Microspline freehub from I9 for my hub. Only a few cogs cause an issue. Wish they, shimano and others would tie more cogs together.

If could combine that aspect of sram with everything else shimano, perfect.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:20 Quote
gmoss wrote:
It was a sunrace problem for me, and it was beyond bothersome. There was a lot more play between the interface than with Shimano. Tightening did not help. Figured it may not be widespread, but QC was not that tight. The sunrace ended up so bad I almost did not get the cassette off and the damage caused me to have to buy a new freehub. Luckily I was just about ready to switch anyway and could get the Microspline freehub from I9 for my hub. Only a few cogs cause an issue. Wish they, shimano and others would tie more cogs together.

If could combine that aspect of sram with everything else shimano, perfect.

I hear you.
Unfortunately damage to freehubs by cassettes is very common. There's a lot of discussion and video on this. Some people fashion tiny spacers and fit them along the length of the splines to take up the cassette-freehub slack.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006960
Mobile Version of Website