Bike upgrading advice/tips.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Bike upgrading advice/tips.
| Next Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:47 Quote
For sure with HG. Back in the day, filing down the burrs on my CK hub was a part of my maint. Haha

I have been very impressed with Microspline.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 11:53 Quote
What if you just buy a Sram Nx eagle cassete. I bet you could get a shimano deralier to work with it, and maybe a sram/shimano chain.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 21:14 Quote
I only ever had slight gouging with alloy HG freehubs.

I.m.e. it had nothing to do with the cassette, just the softer alloy.

Not had any marks at all with the steel freehub on a pro 4. 2 cents

Going off the pic in your link you have the Deore M5100 crankset so you would require a 96 BCD (with the Shimano assymetric bolt pattern) 34t replacement providing you have enough chainstay clearance to fit the bigger chainring.

Random example and similar to the one I'm currently using:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Styx-32-tooth-Narrow-Wide-chainring-Shimano-M8000-32t-Black-96mm-BCD-NEW-3204-/184926446612?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Op, f.w.i.w. +1 for the plan of an 11speed SLX/XT set up, with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette for that better step from 2nd to 1st gear over the Shimano version.

Posted: Jan 30, 2022 at 12:16 Quote
How stuck are you on sram and shimano? I have a riding buddy that has the box 9 speed and he loves it and it fits on a hyperglide freehub. I have the microshift advent x 10speed and love it 48-11 spread is a good middle ground. It also has been tough and maintenance free. And it works with any 10 speed chain and sproket for your cranks. Unless you are stuck on shimano or sram. Look around and read reviews.

Ps. The advent x shifts way better with a Shimano chain. The sram chain was kinda chunky at times. And my advent x has about 500 miles on it and the alloy casette still has alot of life left.

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 17:52 Quote
In the end I picked up second hand xt derailleur and shifter and bought a deore 11 speed cassette. I’ve a question about chain length now, the current chain is 114 links so I assume I need an 11 speed chain with same amount of links? Thanks again for the replies

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 21:45 Quote
I'd forget the old chain completely for any kind of length comparison.

Cut a new chain (usually come with 116 links) to the correct length using the newly fitted drivetrain components.

If you accurately know your chainstay length you could try out an online chain length calculator?

Example:-

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

I.m.e. calculators have been accurate but I only use them for the initial link amount needed or as a back up.

Manually sizing and cutting a new chain in situ is simple enough and there are plenty of good YouTube guides on the subject:-

https://youtu.be/O0YibMDWBAw

Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 13:12 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
I'd forget the old chain completely for any kind of length comparison.

Cut a new chain (usually come with 116 links) to the correct length using the newly fitted drivetrain components.

If you accurately know your chainstay length you could try out an online chain length calculator?

Example:-

http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/bike/chain_length/chainlengthcalc.html

I.m.e. calculators have been accurate but I only use them for the initial link amount needed or as a back up.

Manually sizing and cutting a new chain in situ is simple enough and there are plenty of good YouTube guides on the subject:-

https://youtu.be/O0YibMDWBAw

Thanks for the link and advice

Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 13:39 Quote
I did not have much luck with the length calculators. Actually ended up cutting a chain too short. I just run the chain thru, put a punch or pick thru to hold it together and check length in biggest and smallest cog. I don't like too short a chain as it makes shifting harder, more wear.

I run enough to keep the chain from hitting the der on the smallest cog and doesn't have the der sitting at a big angle in the biggest cog. Helps to have someone hold the der where you need it if you do not have it hooked to the cable when doing this. If you do, it is easy.

Posted: Feb 22, 2022 at 21:24 Quote
gmoss wrote:
I did not have much luck with the length calculators. Actually ended up cutting a chain too short. I just run the chain thru, put a punch or pick thru to hold it together and check length in biggest and smallest cog. I don't like too short a chain as it makes shifting harder, more wear.

I run enough to keep the chain from hitting the der on the smallest cog and doesn't have the der sitting at a big angle in the biggest cog. Helps to have someone hold the der where you need it if you do not have it hooked to the cable when doing this. If you do, it is easy.

^^^ Yeah good extra tip to make it easier. ^^^

Paranoia of doing the final cut and chain being too short led me to a similar idea. I made a six link long chain hook out of a metal coat hanger.

@cillien, an extra step like this means you can confirm cut point with chain threaded through the derailleur and position checked in high, then low gear before cutting. Wink

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006328
Mobile Version of Website