Yeti Sb150 vs Santa Cruz Megatower vs Evil wreckoning

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Yeti Sb150 vs Santa Cruz Megatower vs Evil wreckoning
Previous Page |
Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 15:16 Quote
Thinking of getting a new bike for park riding, racing, and trail/backcountry stuff. I'm mostly just wondering which of these bikes is the best suited.
Open to recommendations, I prefer 29ers with at least 150 mils of rear travel

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 18:50 Quote
max8975 wrote:
Thinking of getting a new bike for park riding, racing, and trail/backcountry stuff. I'm mostly just wondering which of these bikes is the best suited.

Can't wait to see some feedback for this as I'm debating the exact 3 bikes. Currently riding an Evil Calling but wanted to go 145-150mm out back.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 5:00 Quote
Sb150 will be the best all around...Megatower may feel plusher if a coil shock fitted..sb150 would ideally need Cascade link to fit a coil.
Evil bikes have conservative geo but probably much less costly to maintain than switch infinity and Yetis proprietary bearings.

My sb165 is a great bike but a nightmare for bearing replacement and cost.

If you want 29 and a full on DH oriented model then Specialized Enduro or Norco Range is gonna be as plush as you are going to get at the sacrifice of relatively poor climbing and pedalling performance compared to the shorter travel Yeti sb150.

Megatower great sealed bearing and good warranty support but heard it rides a bit meh... about the same plushness as the Yeti but with worse climbing and pedalling and the geo is more conservative...also has a lower bb than the Yeti and I can tell you on my sb165 the bb is low enough already...wouldn't want it any lower.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 6:20 Quote
The Megatower is due for an update (rumor is next month). Unless you find one in stock somewhere you'd have to wait for the new one anyway. Personally, I love the Megatower. Both Yeti and Evil seem to have cracking issues to some degree.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
I actually own a megatower, but found it really harsh, and sold it, so I'm trying to decide if getting the megatower v2 is worth it. Do you think that they're going to change the linkage?

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:25 Quote
CaptainMurica wrote:
max8975 wrote:

Can't wait to see some feedback for this as I'm debating the exact 3 bikes. Currently riding an Evil Calling but wanted to go 145-150mm out back.
What your opinion on the delta link?

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:33 Quote
max8975 wrote:
I actually own a megatower, but found it really harsh, and sold it, so I'm trying to decide if getting the megatower v2 is worth it. Do you think that they're going to change the linkage?

I'm sure they'll adjust the kinematics. What shock were you running? In my experience the stock SD air was not a good match for the bike.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:45 Quote
My choice would be a Transition Spire, 170mm both ends in alloy or carbon. I ride a Sentinel, 160/150mm in carbon or alloy and it’s awesome imo.
Evil bikes are under designed imo, check out VANCAN’s channel on YouTube. He broke 3 wrekening’s frames in one year. All of the yeti bikes with the floating pivots need to be cleaned all the time. They are great for dry California but you will regret the pivots in nj. The mega tower is a great bike but again there are issues with mud. Both around the shock and where the 2 frame triangles over lap, mud gets in there are grinds stuff.

Look at brands that are located in the north east or in the north west, not Southern California. NJ is not all dry sand.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:50 Quote
max8975 wrote:

Yeti is the best all-round, but it's also a race bike, so you gotta be focused like 95% of the time. The Megatower will probably yield the most traction out of all the bikes, but the Evil will probably be the best climber. I find that DELTA is very supple off the top of its stroke as well. I would check out the Transition Spire and Pivot Firebird as well.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
How plush is the wreckoning compared to the spire or sb150?

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
I've only ridden a 150 and Wrecker, I keep hearing that spire is super versatile from everyone I've talked too. The Wrecker felt slightly more plush over the 150, but it did have a coil and the 150 had a X2. But the Yeti just feels faster, almost everytime I ride a yeti I get a PR on my local track, cause it is SO fast.

Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 21:44 Quote
max8975 wrote:
CaptainMurica wrote:
max8975 wrote:

What your opinion on the delta link?

Delta is fantastic. Super plush. Def makes u feel like you have more travel than you do.

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 14:05 Quote
And has anyone compared the yt capra to the yeti sb150?

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 15:36 Quote
I have ridden the old Capra...and had 2 Yeti's one sb6 and now sb165. Old Capra felt like you are very in the bike as the super progressive suspension creates so much wheel sag so the bb drops loads for an equivalent shock sag percentage on other bikes..this creates good small bump and traction but really harsh mid size hit performance...if you increase spring rate so it doesn't sag so much you get even harsher mid size hit performance and almost impossible to use full travel. The new Capra is a bit less progressive but still very very progressive. Both my SB6 and SB165 felt plusher on larger hits than the Capra...my sb6 had worse small bump than the Capra...my sb165 with coil that is fairly progressive but not overly so has both better small bump, better large hit plushness and better pedalling than the Capra. The sb150 will roll over stuff smoother than my sb165 and generally roll faster though I imagine won't feel quite as plush on actually hits as my sb165 but will find less holes and smooth them out due to the 29er wheels. So not a sb150 vs Capra direct comparison but imo Capras are too progressive...some progression is good, especially with coil...but too much just leads to you either wasting loads of travel to sag or end up with a higher spring rate to compensate that and have very harsh mid/large bump performance. Sb150 is like 15% progressive, sb165 is 27%, old Capra was something stupid like 40% progressive...sb6 was stupidly linear like 2% progressive.

Without a doubt the sb150 out of all those bikes above will be the fastest...though it probably won't be the plushest at low speeds or on small bump chatter.. Yeti's generally feel quite racey and taught in their suspension..
They want to stay high in their travel and pedal well until you start going stupid fast at which point the switch infinity deflects down on larger hits and starts to soak up all the large stuff. They are plush at high speeds but there is better bikes for low speed, erase the small bumps kind of plushness. Luckily due to the sb165 being progressive, having coil and switch infinity it benefits from being fairly plush at all speeds if you tune the shock right and pedals pretty damn well. I imagine the sb150 will pedal better and feel a bit more racey and sporty in it's suspension.

The bike you go for is all going to depend on your style of riding, speed and preference in suspension feel. Generally Yeti's are taught, supportive good pedalling suspension designs...they take larger hits well but sacrifice some initial stroke suppleness (sb165 kind of exception due to coil etc) they are meant for racing and using travel efficiently and not bobbing loads under pedal input. Specialized Enduro is example of a more typical plush 29er enduro bike...a bit more soggy in the pedalling department and less supportive than the sb150 but a bit plusher at the same time. In terms of going up hill, down hill and a general do it all long travel trail bike you won't get better than the sb150 for it's balance of all around capability. If you want to sacrifice some things and potentially outright speed for something that feels a bit plusher and perhaps more composed on downhill at slower to moderate speeds and with good small bump then almost any typical horst link bike with a good amount of progressivety will give you that. And don't be dragged in to all this switch infinity, delta, horst link, vpp, dw link crap.. it's not the suspension design that matters...it's the balance of all the kinematics and each design is just a unique way to balance these traits...but almost all designs can balance these traits the same as each other...it's just some manufacturers have a tender for certain suspension kinematics over others....in theory a Horst link could pedal great and switch infinity could be optimised to pedal like crap...it's the execution rather than the design that matters and Yeti likes to produce designs that pedal well, high antisquat for around 1/3 of travel, good mid stroke support and then the suspension eases up on larger hits. Others prefer a typical progressive design...not too much antisquat, good small bump compliance but perhaps a bit soggy in the pedalling department. Initially I hated the way Yeti's feel but now I've learnt to appreciate it's where I ride and my lack of skills that is the issue. Carpark testing a plush generic coil shocked bike against an air sprung supportive Yeti you are probably gonna feel like the Yeti isn't very plush...but it's at speed where the Yeti shines...at speeds where you can make use of that support and hit large enough features fast enough to access the deeper part of the switch infinity link. After all it's a Yeti...it's designed for racing...not fannying about at 10mph or less through some low speed tech in your local woods...other bikes are better suited to that sort of thing.

Posted: Feb 5, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
just picked up a sb150 so far so good.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005796
Mobile Version of Website