165mm cranks MTB Trend

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
165mm cranks MTB Trend
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 5:03 Quote
In my search lately for my next ultimate mountain bike which I’ve decided to go with down country / short travel, I noticed only the Rocky Mountain Element (2022) to have every size bike equipped with 170mm cranks except for the XL size (175mm). My medium Spur coming in May for example will have 175mm cranks. So at least one company is getting better with ideal crank sizes for short travel bikes….IMO

Posted: Mar 18, 2022 at 20:36 Quote
I haven’t tried 165mm yet on my mtb. On my road bike I have 165mm and felt no difference when going shorter. What I don’t understand is why those with mtb bikes and 1 x systems feel the need to go with a smaller chain ring once they go with a slightly shorter crankset. If you had 32T with a 170 or 175mm crank arms, why do you need to suddenly drop to a 30T or 28T with 165mm crank arms? Anyway, read this a few times in other forums and thought it to be strange.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 3:30 Quote
Just installed a Race Face Aeffect 165mm crankset recently and it’s great. I climb better as well. No regrets. My son who is 5’9” says it is better as well. I’m 5’7”. This is on a Norco Sight. When I get my Transition Spur I will be doing the same.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 4:06 Quote
I've completed my build and have a few km on the 165's. Can't say much apart from the fact that the BBH of my my new bike is pretty low so they were a good choice. The seated pedalling position is so different from my previous frame so I can't isolate the effect of the short cranks.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 4:23 Quote
If i put short cranks on my bike i end up sitting up really high and feels sketchy as when trying to move weight around the bike. especially when dropping the outside foot on a loose berm that your trying to rail hard.

back to 170/175 - IMO, Cranks should be based on your height/bike size, excluding the few people who are weird shaped tup

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015121
Mobile Version of Website