fox 40s or marzocihi 888

PB Forum :: Downhill
fox 40s or marzocihi 888
Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 4:01 Quote
marzocchi forks are the best reliability wise my mate has had his 66 since january last year and they still run like new and they havent been serviced yet

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 5:17 Quote
the 40s are pretty much race only forks although i havent ridden one thats just what ive heard. the 888wc are on the kona stabs and i think a few commencal dh race bikes, but i find on my bike they are right at home in the freeride sections of the mountain. so if your only racing with a bit of freeride go with the 40s (only if you have some experience with servicing forks) if not the 888 serves any part of the mountain, even north shore sections

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 5:32 Quote
Where is everyone getting this idea where you need to service fox 40's all the time? IF you're going flat out on whistler or racing all the time then any fork you have is going to need servicing, but if you just enjoy doing pushups and shuttles and some ski lift days every now and then it's not much worse the anything else

Check seals when you do the oil change, check the oil every few weeks, change if needed, it's hardly like you need to strip and rebuild the thing every few days

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 11:39 Quote
stryke wrote:
Where is everyone getting this idea where you need to service fox 40's all the time? IF you're going flat out on whistler or racing all the time then any fork you have is going to need servicing, but if you just enjoy doing pushups and shuttles and some ski lift days every now and then it's not much worse the anything else

Check seals when you do the oil change, check the oil every few weeks, change if needed, it's hardly like you need to strip and rebuild the thing every few days

Exactly, unless your really pushing it hard every weekend and riding a lot during the week the 40 doesn't need any more maintenance than the next fork....

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 11:55 Quote
yeah i agree with that but if your using it as a race fork its gonna be punished isnt it

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 11:59 Quote
wazar wrote:
yeah i agree with that but if your using it as a race fork its gonna be punished isnt it

any fork you use for racing is gonna be punished, its what racing does

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 12:10 Quote
exactly cos he wants a race fork and everyone is saying you wont need to service 40s much if your only riding weekends and not racing which he is

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 12:12 Quote
Get the new BOS Fork.

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 12:12 Quote
he doesn't say anything at all about racing

looking at his pictures he probably wont notice the difference between either

Posted: Mar 9, 2008 at 17:10 Quote
stryke wrote:

6 times last year in fact.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 15:36 Quote
I would go with 40 just because i trust fox. But i have not yet rode with 888s.

Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
come on guys...fox 40 are one of the best forks!I would prefer them than the 888... Cool Wink Smile

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 at 16:07 Quote
Don't even bother touching a 40. Although they ride great, you will only notice the benefits if you are a pretty top end rider. They absolutely suck for maintenance. Period.
If you bottom it, then there is a little bladder in the rebound cartiridge that will pop, tear and need to be fixed and the rebound cartridge can literally explode into many many tiny little pieces. Unless you have a pretty secret top end mech who will do it, Fox will demand you send it back to them, take up a lot of time, and cost a lot.
The ride difference b't 40's and 888's is pretty minimal anyways, and for most models the 888's are significantly cheaper.

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 9:21 Quote
mpampis wrote:
come on guys...fox 40 are one of the best forks!I would prefer them than the 888... Cool Wink Smile

I agree with you. 888s are good. but even though 40s need more work i think they are better.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012117
Mobile Version of Website