Upgrading Bomber Z2 internals or new shock?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Upgrading Bomber Z2 internals or new shock?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 14:30 Quote
I'm looking for a smoother ride on my 2021 Giant Trance, it came with a Bomber Z2 which is good, but recently I feel like I am feeling more impact and chatter. I ride the same trail 90% of the time so I know it well. Is there an option to upgrade the Z2 internals with Fox components or upgrade to a Rockshox SID or something else? I ride XC It's very flat here in Tx as you know.

Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 1:46 Quote
Assume you tried adjusting compression and rebound? What about air pressure? Could you add air volume tokens and lower the psi maybe?

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 3:10 Quote
If you're only feeling more impact and chatter recently, my question would be what has changed? Tyres, pressures etc?

If nothing you can think of has changed but the fork doesn't feel as nice as it used to, it might just need a service.

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 8:18 Quote
Not really any upgrades for that fork because it uses the same uppers as a Fox 34 Rhythm, which has thicker-walled stanchions and therefore a smaller inner diameter than the Performance/Performance Elite/Factory line.

I agree with the others that it probably needs a service and to check that your tire pressure isn’t accidentally too high.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 4, 2022 at 9:02 Quote
What are all the settings your are running (rebound, pressure, compression)? How much have you played with them? What is your riding weight?

Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 19:48 Quote
It's a shame the Z2 doesnt use the Grip damper like the Fox Rhythm forks and the Z1. The Grip damper is excellent even though it has no LSC.
Sounds like yours just needs a service if it's only recently been performing worse. New seals and oil can make a significant difference.
You could potentially see if you can source a Grip damper like the Rhythm fork, but I suspect it would be expensive and might be better to upgrade the whole fork if you want more adjustments and/or a lighter fork for XC.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 20:16 Quote
Factory spec Psi with 20% sag and moderate rebound.

Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 20:20 Quote
kenshotx wrote:
Factory spec Psi with 20% sag and moderate rebound.

Try less sag. Somewhere between 15% & 20%. I know it sounds counter intuitive to increase pressure when your issue is chatter, but IME, sometimes it can actually smooth things out a little by keeping you in the midstroke until you hit something medium/large.

FL
Posted: Mar 8, 2023 at 11:04 Quote
Brilliance on the "try less sag". Why not...!!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009644
Mobile Version of Website