Moots or Lyskey?

PB Forum :: Other
Moots or Lyskey?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 14:47 Quote
I am in the market for a new gravel rig. I am looking at the Moots or the Lysnkey. The price difference for is over $3k for similar builds. I cant seem to see what the difference is besides brand name. Both hand built in USA both same grade titanium.

Any insight on why I would pay the additional $$??

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 19:46 Quote
Linkhead wrote:
I am in the market for a new gravel rig. I am looking at the Moots or the Lysnkey. The price difference for is over $3k for similar builds. I cant seem to see what the difference is besides brand name. Both hand built in USA both same grade titanium.

why not buy a carbon hardtail and get something lighter with a better spec for the same price. but if you must choose moots. they are a cooler brand lynskey is just a little whack

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 21:04 Quote
Linkhead wrote:

I have a lynskey gravel bike and hardtail. fantastic bikes, well made, excellent customer service, would recommend to anyone.

Only been around one moots, another gravel bike with a somewhat similar build. Rode it for 30 or so miles, mixed surface. Could not tell much a difference, and my friend's experience was much like mine: great bike, well made, good customer service. Even looking at the construction, I could see differences, but nothing objectively 'better' about one or the other. He spoke with them a lot less than me (he mostly bought a complete bike, I went with framesets, some customization, several calls to help with build/parts recommendations), but from all that I have heard, similar quality in the people that make them.

No way I would pay $3k more for the moots, no way I would pay more at all. Not a knock on moots, just a praise of Lynskey--more than pleased with the money spent. And you can often catch deals with Lynskey if you sign up for their emails (both of my frames were discounted a good amount, upgraded finish, free part here and there...super bonus).

Posted: Apr 5, 2024 at 13:39 Quote
Just something to ponder when it comes to pricing a bike. First you need a good frame. One that checks all the boxes you can. Imo it doesn't need to be perfect, but it needs to be functional, comfortable, and within performance levels you need to have met. After that it might not be wise to put all your extra cash into the group sets, wheelsets, and incidentals that add up to your maximum expenditure allowance. Ride it as is for awhile, and add items as finances allow as time goes on. If as you stated there is 3k for the top brand that gives you at least that amount to update as you desire. I guarantee in a few years there will be items that will give you extra performance not available now, or at least the items now on the expensive bike will cost much less. In a year or two you might ask whether it is the frame that gives you the most bang for your buck, or the group set, wheelset, etc. You might be surprised at the answer, but at least you will have a pretty good idea what you are willing to spend extra money for.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008722
Mobile Version of Website