PB Forum :: Downhill
Eh and enduro Fullface helmet
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
wburnes wrote:
Lando406 wrote:

I've personally witnessed a Fox Proframe and a Troy Lee Stage chin bar snap off and result in broken faces and concussions. After smashing my head with a Leatt DBX 4.0 and getting a concussion, I upgraded to the 8.0. I'm not advocating for a DH helmets simply due to weight, rather the protection they offer as they won't explode upon impact as easily.

While the enduro helmets pass the DH certifications, as they should, it says more than literally zero DH World Cup racers wear enduro helmets.

When it comes to my brain, I'm going to opt for the best and safest technology available. For riding bike parks, I'm wearing a DH helmet.

The safest and best technology is the lightest weight DH certified MIPs helmet.

People in this thread are placing far too much faith in what the Pros are doing; just at Lourdes we had one of the women get a concussion and decide to race anyway.

FL
Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 3:56 Quote
Hi, in the end I went with the 100% aircraft 2, full DH helmet but still not to heavy and it has good ventilation. Just to note it is quite snug (I've always had a medium and this one is really tight)

Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 3:57 Quote
wburnes wrote:
Lando406 wrote:
If you’re going for one helmet to rule them all, get something more DH oriented. The lightweight enduro full face helmets don’t offer the same amount of protection.

This is misinformation. They are tested to DH impact standards, but are lighter than traditional DH helmets. All else being equal, a heavier helmet is not as safe as a lighter helmet, because more force is transfered to the head.

I didint buy this helm for you and you miss the most important point. Those light enduro helmets have huge holes in them and its super ez for a random branch to pierce through it as my friend experienced and had a face surgery.

Those helmets are light because they miss material comparing them to for example Fox Rampage Pro Carbon. Proframe is built to ride with it on whole day while Rampage for big possible impacts so they are not very comfortable to ride with them whole day.

For me Leatt DBX 4.0 turned out to be ideal between weight and safety for casual park laps. For more tryhard downhill riding I would certainly wear something else.

Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 9:15 Quote
wburnes wrote:
Many "Enduro" full face helmets absolutely do offer just as much, and in many cases, more protection than their DH counterparts (if it meets the same standards, but is lighter, it is more protective).

There are zero enduro full face helmets that offer an equal level of protection. You need to stop.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
wburnes wrote:
Many "Enduro" full face helmets absolutely do offer just as much, and in many cases, more protection than their DH counterparts (if it meets the same standards, but is lighter, it is more protective).

There are zero enduro full face helmets that offer an equal level of protection. You need to stop.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2022 at 11:30 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
wburnes wrote:

If it's lighter, and passes the same tests, it offers more protection.

I don't need to do anything. If I'm wrong, you should present some evidence or at least an argument. The fact that you haven't yet implies a lack of confidence in your own position.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
wburnes wrote:
CSdirt wrote:
wburnes wrote:

I don't need to do anything. If I'm wrong, you should present some evidence or at least an argument. The fact that you haven't yet implies a lack of confidence in your own position.

You are very overconfident in your ignorance. To say helmets are all equal apart from weight because they pass the same standard shows you don’t know jack about standards.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 19:50 Quote
mick06 wrote:
wburnes wrote:
CSdirt wrote:

You are very overconfident in your ignorance. To say helmets are all equal apart from weight because they pass the same standard shows you don’t know jack about standards.

I didn't say all helmets are equal, or that they all pass the same standard. I said "all else being equal, a lighter helmet is better", if you disagree, feel free to add some lead weights to your helmet, lmao

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 2:16 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
wburnes wrote:

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 3:06 Quote
wburnes wrote:
mick06 wrote:
wburnes wrote:

I didn't say all helmets are equal, or that they all pass the same standard. I said "all else being equal, a lighter helmet is better", if you disagree, feel free to add some lead weights to your helmet, lmao

Those lightweight FF helmets are rated for Enduro. They are meant to pedal up hills, and for decending.
They have the same ratings as most downhill FF helmets, yes. But they are not as safe as the DH versions though.

I had a Fox Proframe previously, the padding is super thin in those lightweight helmets, the lesser materials the lighter it gets.
Now I have a Fox RPC. This helmet sits much more snug, and has triple the thickness for padding.

With extra weight comes more materials, hence the more protection. The ratings on helmets are just machines that test the durability. But machines will not know when an impact is to hard if this would cause a concussion or not.

Go read through previous comments in this thread, or just search on the net. You will be shocked how many people have bad experience with those lightweight FF helmets (like concussions, chin bar that smashing in your face when they break).
The reason I reply to you is, you are hammering down this thread with lightweight FF enduro helmets are better then a full DH helmet.
If you think lightweight is better? Why you don't see motorcycles helmet being lightweight?

Please stop spreading around misinformation.
Saying a helmet that is 700g with almost no padding is safer vs a helmet that sits around ~1.3kg helmet with triple the amount of padding, and a much stronger shell.
You love your lightweight FF helmet, good for you. But don't go tell people it's safer than a decent FF helmet.

There is a reason why Fox is rating the Fox Proframe as an enduro helmet, and not a DH helmet. Same goes for the TLD Stage.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010607
Mobile Version of Website