Specialized enduro chain keeps coming off

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized enduro chain keeps coming off
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 13:32 Quote
Hi, I have a specialized enduro 2020 with a SRAM nx derailleur and cassette, I don't know why but the chain keeps coming off the smallest sprocket of the cassette while pedalling during a descent. It happens when there are some little rocks and stuff and the bike wobbled a bit. If I try to put the chain on the last sprocket when the bike is on the bike stand there are no problems it's perfect. Heard about a few people having the same problem, please help me out. (Cassette isn't worn out and chain and derailleur are new)

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 22:16 Quote
Guessing you just need to adjust the limit screw for the smallest cog (?).

Shift into the highest gear (smallest cog) and then turn the limit screw in the direction that moves the derailleur cage inboard. Turn the pedals and the limit screw until the chain moves up to the next larger cog. Still turning the pedals, slowly start turning the limit screw in the opposite direction as before until the chain drops down to the smallest cog again. Keep turning just until you stop hearing any chain noise and you’re done.

Recommend watching the park tool derailleur adjustment video.

Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 9:04 Quote
Hi, no, the limit screw is perfect, as when I change gear on the workstand it works perfectly and even when I pedal on the road, but when I change gear to the last little sprocket while pedalling on a decent it comes off damaging the frame too.

Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 9:12 Quote
Hrismat23 wrote:
(Cassette isn't worn out and chain and derailleur are new)

Just because it works on a stand in free air, follow Blownoutrides instructions anyways and re-do the limit screw.

If the limit screw isn't the problem, then there's an issue with the tension on the rear derailleur that is causing chain slapping.

Your LBS can figure this out.

Curious, why did it need a new derailleur? I bet this answer will reveal more truth.

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2022 at 10:31 Quote
Not on an enduro, but had similar issues with the NX derailleur on my status. I found an excessive amount of play in the mounting bolt itself, ended up buying an X01 bolt replacement kit and switching it out, which seems to have eliminated that issue. Do a quick search and you will see the difference between the parts.

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
soyabeans wrote:
Hrismat23 wrote:
(Cassette isn't worn out and chain and derailleur are new)

Just because it works on a stand in free air, follow Blownoutrides instructions anyways and re-do the limit screw.

If the limit screw isn't the problem, then there's an issue with the tension on the rear derailleur that is causing chain slapping.

Your LBS can figure this out.

Curious, why did it need a new derailleur? I bet this answer will reveal more truth.
hi, it needed a new derailleur because specialized "base model" comes with an nx, which broke after a few rides, changed to a GX, broke it again, and now riding an nx again which seems to be ok at the moment

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 15:24 Quote
bquek004 wrote:
Not on an enduro, but had similar issues with the NX derailleur on my status. I found an excessive amount of play in the mounting bolt itself, ended up buying an X01 bolt replacement kit and switching it out, which seems to have eliminated that issue. Do a quick search and you will see the difference between the parts.
ok thanks! Will try to change the derailleur to a GX as soon as this nx breaks again

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
Hrismat23 wrote:
bquek004 wrote:
ok thanks! Will try to change the derailleur to a GX as soon as this nx breaks again

If you still have the broken GX derailleur, pop out the mounting bolt and the small mounting plate that goes with it and install it on the NX, should take up the slop that I was experiencing and make the NX run a bit smoother.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008888
Mobile Version of Website