2013 road/cross bike: would you upgrade?

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
2013 road/cross bike: would you upgrade?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 17:14 Quote
I own a 2013 Specialized Crux Red Expert. It's a carbon cross bike and I use it like a gravel bike, road bike and commute bike when I'm not on the MTB.
The weight (it's below 9kg), the feel and geo (it's a CX bike, it accelerates very fast, it feels compliant where it matters) are pretty good despite it's age. When the bike works well and is freshly adjusted, I kinda like it quite a bit. But..

The bad:
- I'm tired of dealing with 2x11 adjustements every now and then. They're finicky, too, so it can take a few tries to get it perfect. My MTB's SRAM eagle needs zero maintenance. Changing this means new chainring AND cranks (current is SRAM red), new derailleur, new cassette, chain and special shifter adapter that allows for an eagle setup, or using eTap/Di2 with a complete drivetrain change, or Force X1/Shimano GRX which is also pretty much a complete drivetrain change.

The meh-but-fixable:
- The brakes aren't the greatest. They're the first SRAM HRD (hydraulic disk). I suspect newer ones are better, though these could be improved with larger rotors (atm its 140+160.. i'd put 2x 180).

The mehs I can't really fix:

-This bike has no thru axles. It uses QR with tabs. They work but I hate them. No only the fork flexes enough that the rotors of the disc brake will eventually touch in turns or hits, but removing QR with tabs is slower than thru axle!

- While I like CX geo it's a tad too twitch going down hill compared to regular road or gravel bikes

- The frame tire clearance is 33mm and that's it. I want 45mm tires, if I could, that is

With that said, I also don't want to spend 5k+ into a brand new bike of equivalent weight and quality. Curious what other people did in a similar situation or even just opinions. Would you replace some of the drive train with eagle and call it a day? Would you sell it and get a brand new bike? Something else?

Cheers Smile

Posted: Feb 15, 2022 at 18:32 Quote
I think that you've had a good run with this bike, but the priorities have changed. I'd get rid of it. I don't like the idea of quick releases. The thing I definitely wouldn't do is swap it to Eagle. All the spacing changes, and then you'd be lucky to even get the 33mm tire in. I really don't think you have a 2x problem, I just think you're tired of a 2x that sucks. I'll admit my bias as a Trek employee, but I'd get an entry level carbon Domane. They'll be 2x, but they'll stay adjusted. 2x makes more sense for commuting. I recommend Domane because it is a very confident feeling geo. It is a road bike, but it fits 38c officially and I've ridden mine on gravel with no issues. I said officially 38 but it comfortably fits 42c. Also it has rack mounts galore. They ship tubeless. Sorry to get sales pitchy on you but I genuinely think it's a good option if you can find one.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 0:08 Quote
The domane looks nice, though I'm still vary of the 2x. I really dont mind not having the range of a 2x system or having a slightly heavier rear wheel, but do enjoy the simple and reliable 1x. I did try 2x di2 and yeah these are fine, but all things considered, im not sure if its that needed.

also, why not the checkpoint? The SL5 is GRX/105 at 3300usd, which is not super cheap but not crazy either.

I'm also curious if you ever tried the AL frames. I heard they're pretty good these days and about as comfortable as carbon.

Thx!

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 7:02 Quote
I was going to mention the Checkpoint too. It is just as good of an option, just more gravel focused. It would support you 1x wishes better.

As far as alloy vs carbon, I have ridden both (Domane). My current Domane is the AL 4 Disc aluminum model. It is very comfy, but there is still a pretty big difference with carbon in my opinion. I actually regretted getting the alloy model over carbon, but it was all that was available. Both the carbon Domane and Checkpoint have IsoSpeed, which helps tremendously over the budget counterparts.

I've ridden the Checkpoint SL5 you brought up. The shifting is pretty bomb proof. I got to play around with the low tire pressures on tubeless and the bike became like a hardtail MTB with drops. It's only downside is it has a relatively low end wheelset that is not super fun on hills. It's something I'd change down the road.

From the tone of your reply I think you'd prefer Checkpoint to Domane.

Hope this helps!

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 20:00 Quote
Thank you I appreciate it more than you'd think! I've always categorized trek as an expensive brand, and while it's not cheap its really not bad. There's a checkpoint in my area so I'll go check it out Smile

You should get a raise haha.

Posted: Feb 24, 2022 at 13:37 Quote
No amount of futzing around with that bike will change the axels or the tire clearance. You don't have to spend big $ for a 1x gravel bike, but you won't get decent carbon. I'd look at some of the high value steel and aluminum gravel bikes out there with a budget of $2500 ish. Kona Libre or Rove. Something from State Bicycles or Poseidon would do the trick for less $ too.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008371
Mobile Version of Website