New Tallboy 4 AL-D XL

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
New Tallboy 4 AL-D XL
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 6:49 Quote
I sold my old Trek Top Fuel and freed up some capital last week.

I rode Warrior Creek last weekend. It was a lot chunkier and rootier than it was last time I rode there, but still fun.

What I noticed though is that my Recon RL isn't up to snuff. I didn't notice much on smoother trails like Lake James, but my hands were going numb from all the vibration on Sunday (roots and rocks). My old Reba SL with dual air and 120 travel was sooooo much better than this fork. The Recon might be a little less flexy than the Reba, but it's harsh as hell at the top of the travel and bottoms too easily, even with higher weight fork oil in it.

I'm trying to decide between a Pike Ultimate or a Fox 34 (factory or performance elite) with140mm travel.

I've read lots of articles but having never ridden either one I don't have much to go on. I have used RockShox for years and overall find them to be well made, easy to maintain, and good performers. I have little experience with Fox MTB forks.

Mainly I want to improve small bump sensitivity, get less flex and also lose about a pound from the current fork.

Anybody care to chime in on the fork choice?

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
I have a Fox 34 Factory on my Blur. I had it on my Hightower as well at 140mm. It is set at 120 now. You are welcome to give it a spin if you want. I have had a couple RS like you have and did not like. The lower end Fox outperform them. I like the added adjustability the Elite or Factory provides. And I find the Fox website eaaier to use, and their service kits easier to understand, get.

Posted: Apr 22, 2022 at 7:55 Quote
Imgonnarideon wrote:
I sold my old Trek Top Fuel and freed up some capital last week.

I rode Warrior Creek last weekend. It was a lot chunkier and rootier than it was last time I rode there, but still fun.

What I noticed though is that my Recon RL isn't up to snuff. I didn't notice much on smoother trails like Lake James, but my hands were going numb from all the vibration on Sunday (roots and rocks). My old Reba SL with dual air and 120 travel was sooooo much better than this fork. The Recon might be a little less flexy than the Reba, but it's harsh as hell at the top of the travel and bottoms too easily, even with higher weight fork oil in it.

I'm trying to decide between a Pike Ultimate or a Fox 34 (factory or performance elite) with140mm travel.

I've read lots of articles but having never ridden either one I don't have much to go on. I have used RockShox for years and overall find them to be well made, easy to maintain, and good performers. I have little experience with Fox MTB forks.

Mainly I want to improve small bump sensitivity, get less flex and also lose about a pound from the current fork.

Anybody care to chime in on the fork choice?

Thanks in advance!

Both will be a big upgrade. Fox upgrade path is performance is the grip damper, performance elite gets the fit damper, factory gets the kashima / gold legs. I'm not sure if weight changes much, but it likely does. The step cast forks are the light ones, but they stop at 120mm, so Fox 34 is likely your option if you want 140mm. Have has a couple of 34 performance forks, they've worked very well. I've rebuilt both, but both could have kept going. I was doing yearly maint in December, so went ahead with it.

Son has a Reba RL that he races on (12), that's 100mm. I've had to rebuild it once, and will have to rebuild again. He also rides more than I do.

Can't speak much on the Pike. Some of the SID bushings have been issues, but that's probably been addressed at the factory by now. Can't say for sure.

Not sure it's super useful, but some web site (maybe PB?) looked up how RS and Fox did (And others) when it came to winning races over the last handful of years. Fox won more on the enduro / DH circuits, RS better on the XC circuits. Both beat out all other forks.

You won't go wrong either way, but will be a great upgrade.

You may also look at bars (oneup?) and grips and how far leaned over you are if your hands are going numb... a cheaper route than a new fork. Experience from my TB3.

Posted: May 9, 2022 at 12:21 Quote
Thanks for the fork info Stickey1048.

I did go ahead and replace the travel spacer in the Recon fork to allow for 140 mm of travel over the stock 130mm.

That helped by allowing me to run a slightly lower pressure and improve small bump sensitivity without causing excessive bottoming.

I didn't notice any difference in handling.

It's taken some work but I've got the Recon working OK now. Still got my sights set on a Pike Ultimate. Then some new lighter wheels and a cassette that isn't made of a high tech alloy of cast-iron and lead like my current NX eagle cassette.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
Just installed the Pike Ultimate last night.

New overall weight, ready to ride: 34.3 lbs. The new fork shaved over 1.3 lbs off the bike.

Initial impressions: the front end feels much lighter/easier to manual/wheelie and the new fork feels a lot more supple in the woods around my house.

I'm eager to get it on the trail this weekend and start dialing it in.

To summarize this thread:

Initial weight 36.6 lbs stock, ready to ride.

Mods: Maxxis Rekon rear tire
Wolf Tooth axles f/r
Shimano XTM-8000 front brake
Ice tech rotors f/r (203/180)
Specialized seat
Rockshox Pike Ultimate
ESI foam rubber grips

^^2.3 lbs shed with more on the table.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005885
Mobile Version of Website