Touring Bikes: QR vs Thru Axles

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Touring Bikes: QR vs Thru Axles
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
I am considering several models of touring bikes, and I do have a question around the importance of thu axles. For example, the Kona Sutra SE and Breezer Radar X have thu axles while the Trek 520, Surly Bridge Club, Marin Four Corner, and Salsa Marrakesh do not.

While I am a big proponent of thu axles on my mountain bikes given the terrain they are going over, for road or gravel (not super rugged) riding I am on the fence. I have an older cyclocross bike with QR's and I have had zero issues despite have disc brakes (disc brakes are often cited as a reason for thru axles).

How important are thu axles for a touring bike?

Thanks.

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 5:25 Quote
They aren't important enough to make the decision based on axle type. If you already own wheels and bikes with one standard and you want the option to switch wheels back and forth then it makes sense.

Posted: Feb 24, 2022 at 13:31 Quote
W3fty wrote:
They aren't important enough to make the decision based on axle type. If you already own wheels and bikes with one standard and you want the option to switch wheels back and forth then it makes sense.

I agree with W3fty, but i do wonder what the future of the QR hub standard is. Its possible that getting the through axel bike will future proof your purchase. Alternatively through axels on road bikes could just be a fad and you'll end up with another superseded piece of technology.

I really hate bike companies sometimes.

Posted: Mar 11, 2022 at 13:46 Quote
QR are fine on road and mountain bike. I have been riding for 30 years and never had any issues with QR , even with loaded touring bikes. Thru axles do have there place . With the development of super suspension bikes and incredible speed with ridiculous drop offs , the thru axles have there place. There are still loads of New QR 135 spacing my bikes for sale, usually at the load end price point.
Good luck

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006840
Mobile Version of Website