Shoe fit advice sought!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shoe fit advice sought!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 1:37 Quote
Hi all, I'm struggling to find a pair of 'trail/xc' clipless shoes that fit. I need a fairly wide, flat toe box and narrow heel, with a lowish overall volume.

Keep falling between size 43 and 44, with 43 being too short (often on third toe) and 44 being too loose at the heel. More worried about weight (yeah, I know) than cost.

Have tried Spesh 2FO Cliplites, Shimano ME7 and on the XC side, Spesh Recon, Bontrager XXX and Fizik Infinito.

Had enough of sending shoes back...

Anyone have similar shaped feet who can recommend a shoe, or brand?

Cheers!

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that shoes are getting smaller? Or are my feet getting bigger in my old age? Wondering if vanity sizing is becoming a thing with shoes too Smile

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 2:20 Quote
May be a little too heavy duty but Giro Chamber 2s fit your description spot on in terms of fit. I had the same issue as you.

You will have to size up though. I'd recommend a 45 if you're a 43/44.

And yes, shoes have definitely gotten tighter fitting over the years.

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 5:32 Quote
Thanks - they do look a bit heavy duty for my purposes - but maybe Giro are worth a look in general though, if that's their fit?

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 5:59 Quote
olly76 wrote:
Thanks - they do look a bit heavy duty for my purposes - but maybe Giro are worth a look in general though, if that's their fit?

I don't know, sorry. I only use their Road and Enduro shoe. I don't know how their intermediate offerings fit.

Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 7:11 Quote
olly76 wrote:
Hi all, ....

Oh, and has anyone else noticed that shoes are getting smaller? Or are my feet getting bigger in my old age? Wondering if vanity sizing is becoming a thing with shoes too Smile

Your feet do actually change shape and size over your lifetime. They will tend to get bigger and wider. Get your feet measured to help find shoes that fit.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
I wear a 10 EEE and most 44's are too narrow. 45's too long, toe sticks out too far. Giro, Specialized, SDI, Pearl Izumi all a compromise. I found some Lake MX170's on sale at the LBS years ago. A little heavier but rugged. They are standard fit but heel fits well. Lake offer wide fit also. Like you I have wide feet with a high in step but narrow heel. Decent traction off the bike too for an SPD shoe. MX176 or higher are best quality.

https://www.lakecycling.com/

Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 15:33 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
olly76 wrote:
Hi all, ....

Your feet do actually change shape and size over your lifetime. They will tend to get bigger and wider. Get your feet measured to help find shoes that fit.

Interesting! Not heard that before but I definitely have shoes that no longer fit me. I just thought I used to be less picky about having shoes that fit properly.

Getting measured is probably a good idea, I was just being lazy and trying to source stuff while sat at home Smile

Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 15:33 Quote
Mountainfrog wrote:
I wear a 10 EEE and most 44's are too narrow. 45's too long, toe sticks out too far. Giro, Specialized, SDI, Pearl Izumi all a compromise. I found some Lake MX170's on sale at the LBS years ago. A little heavier but rugged. They are standard fit but heel fits well. Lake offer wide fit also. Like you I have wide feet with a high in step but narrow heel. Decent traction off the bike too for an SPD shoe. MX176 or higher are best quality.

https://www.lakecycling.com/

Thanks, will check them out.

Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
olly76 wrote:
Hi all, I'm struggling to find a pair of 'trail/xc' clipless shoes that fit. I need a fairly wide, flat toe box and narrow heel, with a lowish overall volume.

Keep falling between size 43 and 44, with 43 being too short (often on third toe) and 44 being too loose at the heel. More worried about weight (yeah, I know) than cost.

Have tried Spesh 2FO Cliplites, Shimano ME7 and on the XC side, Spesh Recon, Bontrager XXX and Fizik Infinito.

Had enough of sending shoes back...

Anyone have similar shaped feet who can recommend a shoe, or brand?

Cheers!

Sidi shoes have always done me right. I bought a pair of Sidi Dominators in 2007 that I just replaced this year due to wanting some ankle protection. I went with another pair of Sidis due to how well they've treated me. They are expensive, but my experience is that they are totally worth the expense since they last so long. They come in half-sizes for euro sizes and you can get the Dominator Mega which is a wider shoe.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011989
Mobile Version of Website