Main concerns about buying an ebike....

PB Forum :: eMTB
Main concerns about buying an ebike....
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 4, 2022 at 4:38 Quote
IronRider666 wrote:
Mate no need to think ahead so far. the battery life these days is great and my mates motor recently packed in after 6 months and got it replaced within 1 week by Shimano (they just swap it out).
treat yourself to an ebike asap and you will have a smile on your face every time you ride it Smile

Haha, i like you outlook in life! just read your blog too. Fair play. We only get one chance on this earth eh!
I think its a matter of budget till I go for it. Shame I don't have it now, I can see your is up for sale!

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 3:04 Quote
I haven't seen much feedback from owners with shimano motors outside of the warranty period.

Would be very interested as the shimano's don't seem to be as serviceable by shops/third parties.

In the eventual scenario when the bearings get worn - would you be told to buy a new motor?

Anyone had a fix from the LBS/Shimano that was less than a new motor? Like just a bearing overhaul?

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 6:42 Quote
thaiduong wrote:
I haven't seen much feedback from owners with shimano motors outside of the warranty period.

Would be very interested as the shimano's don't seem to be as serviceable by shops/third parties.

In the eventual scenario when the bearings get worn - would you be told to buy a new motor?

Anyone had a fix from the LBS/Shimano that was less than a new motor? Like just a bearing overhaul?

I bought a spare motor for my Heckler while I waited for a warranty motor, which turned out not to be required after all. Long story.

Batteries are going to be available from major manufacturers for quite a few years. You can still get batteries for 2018-2019 bikes easy enough. Bosch and Shimano, Specialized, maybe Yamaha will be fairly generic.

Motors can be serviced or replaced. Thats my biggest issue with an ebike, but I don't think it's as much of a problem as some think.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
thaiduong wrote:

For what it's worth, the "service" for a Bosch motor unit is to remove it and install another one. This is straight from the Bosch training session I attended. That said, the instructor also said the motor they use is the same motor used as a power steering pump by VW/Audi and lasts them about 100k miles of driving.

Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 5:11 Quote
I would suggest getting a bike for which a conveniently located dealer is available. I my case I bought a Bulls E-Stream EVO AM 45 (longest name ever). It is a class 3 dual suspension mountain bike and I love it. The motor is by Brose, which has not been listed in this post yet I don’t think. Very quiet and smooth. However, for any motor/battery issues you are a little bit out in left field because the distribution network is highly decentralized. So I guess if longevity and replacement convenience are important I would consider a very established brand. But I do love the bike. Good luck!

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006095
Mobile Version of Website