Anyone have a full suspension bike that doesn't creak?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Anyone have a full suspension bike that doesn't creak?
Posted: Mar 10, 2022 at 9:38 Quote
when I'm not lazy my bike is silent

Posted: Mar 12, 2022 at 3:21 Quote
gth802s wrote:
As the title states. If yes, what make and model? Curious to know if these unicorns exist. If no, do you not care, or just throw on some headphones and call it a day? I rode behind a buddy yesterday whose Santa Cruz Tallboy was creaking up a storm but he had his headphones in and didn't seem bothered by it.
I have a trek slash 8 which is fairly new and is pretty much silent appart from the hub

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
2021 giant trance advanced,,,,,,quiet as a mouse....

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 19:35 Quote
2018 Giant Trance. Had a few issues with the bottom racket. Creaks a bit, no matter the type of BB I install. Have a Wheels Manufacturing at the moment. But have found that if I throw some tri-flo into the BB seals before each ride creak is gone.

And yes they are installed correctly and greased. The LBS and I think it's one of two things. The size of the bottom bracket cage is off a bit or my cranks are off a bit.

I have taken the bike apart three times trying to figure where the creak is coming from.

Posted: Mar 13, 2022 at 21:34 Quote
My 2019 Stumpjumper EVO has been creak-less so long as I keep the mud off. It is alloy though, so not sure whether that counts…

Posted: Mar 15, 2022 at 9:12 Quote
How I deal with creaks: first, buy top quality frames, that helps a lot (usually). Buy a frame with a lifetime bearing warranty and a threaded bottom bracket (I know that narrows choices... this is how I preemptively address creaks).

I feel like creaks are inevitable, so take the time to diagnose them. My last creak was actually where the rear derailer attaches to the derailer hanger; it just needed fresh grease and a tighten. Replacing bottom brackets and pivot bearings are more involved, sometimes the solution is simple. If you ride a lot, you will eventually get creaks so the thing to do is become proficient at bike maintenance and even building a bike.

Posted: Mar 15, 2022 at 22:20 Quote
gth802s wrote:
Having said that, my own "high quality, well maintained" carbon FS bike has been noisy lately and I can't figure out the source. I have taken apart the whole bike twice already, and don't really care to do a third time...

Can't tell if you solved it yet, but we've found dry seatposts can make a carbon frame creak so much - the sound echoes in the frame so it's always hard to pinpoint! Pulling the posts out and applying fresh grip seems to silence a lot of those "mystery" creaks

Posted: Apr 23, 2022 at 15:46 Quote
8tom8 wrote:
gth802s wrote:
As the title states. If yes, what make and model? Curious to know if these unicorns exist. If no, do you not care, or just throw on some headphones and call it a day? I rode behind a buddy yesterday whose Santa Cruz Tallboy was creaking up a storm but he had his headphones in and didn't seem bothered by it.
I have a trek slash 8 which is fairly new and is pretty much silent appart from the hub

My 2019 Tallboy 3 is quiet. I also replace shock bearings (lots of grease going back together), replaced dropper (fresh friction grease), pulled and reinstalled cranks/bb (lots of grease going back in), serviced front/rear shocks and replaced headset bearings (bad lower bearing was noisy, lots of grease going back together).

It's quiet.

For now.

Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
My family has 4 full suspension bike and none of them creaks. I'll go out on a limb and say that a carefully assembled and well maintained bike does not creak, assuming the parts are not defective. I certainly have dealt with creaks. Sometimes a creak can be due to bizarre problems. If your bike creaks, you have to start disassembling, cleaning, and then carefully reassembling parts. Suspension pivots, cranks, pedals, and bottom brackets all need to be checked. Look for wear, and be suspicious of parts than have unusual markings or feel loose. It can be an arduous process. Good luck.

Posted: May 1, 2022 at 10:36 Quote
My local bike shop fixed the creaking. They advised me to order spare bearings and pivot/moving parts so I’ll order two sets

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 19:27 Quote
Pulling the posts out and applying fresh grip seems to silence a lot of those "mystery" creaks[/Quote]

Go to the trek website and they advise no grease on carbon frames. Dry!

Oh and creak free on ‘22 9.8 slash

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 11:29 Quote
NZRalphy wrote:
Go to the trek website and they advise no grease on carbon frames. Dry!

Oh and creak free on ‘22 9.8 slash

Yes, definitely no grease on carbon frames!!

You can use carbon grip though - I'm not sure what it is, but there are pastes for carbon-on-carbon or carbon-on-aluminum contacts.

https://fortnine.ca/en/finish-line-mtb-fiber-grip-assembly-gel?utm_id=1768313956&utm_campaign=pla-680265996678&utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid&utm_content=68826402477&gclid=CjwKCAjw7IeUBhBbEiwADhiEMZLaZbxtuCe8KoY78PYLUXJq7l86Dzdx982zp1Tm9L3L2j0wNlWsFBoCjyoQAvD_BwE#493=11985

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
sounds like your bike needs a little love. Dust perhaps?

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:01 Quote
Nope. Mine creaks.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 8:10 Quote
trailnuts wrote:
My local bike shop fixed the creaking. They advised me to order spare bearings and pivot/moving parts so I’ll order two sets

Many bike shops will do that. Doesn't hurt. I live out west, so dust in your parts can cause creaking constantly. good time to know then you need to give your bike some love, before resorting to a shop.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007612
Mobile Version of Website