Riding a bike that is a tad to big.

PB Forum :: Beginners
Riding a bike that is a tad to big.
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 10, 2022 at 9:10 Quote
So I bought my bike about 2 years ago. Got a crazy good deal on it. I just feel that it is a tad to big, however I do like how it feels. My seat post is low compared to alot of other people. Its at the correct height for me to pedal properly. I just bought a 50mm stem and riser handle bars to help since I feel the reach is a little to much. My question is, is anybody riding a bike that is just a hair to big.? Am I missing anything riding a bike that is a tad to big? I am 5'11 and its a 20 inch frame. According to their website 20 inch frame fits 5'10-6'1. Which I know to be not that accurate. The bike is a 2018 Felt Doctrine 6, I am coming from a 2004 Gary Fisher Mamba. So I expect the geometry to be totally different. Am I over thinking this?

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 12:23 Quote
showtyme4000 wrote:
So I bought my bike about 2 years ago. Got a crazy good deal on it. I just feel that it is a tad to big, however I do like how it feels. My seat post is low compared to alot of other people. Its at the correct height for me to pedal properly. I just bought a 50mm stem and riser handle bars to help since I feel the reach is a little to much. My question is, is anybody riding a bike that is just a hair to big.? Am I missing anything riding a bike that is a tad to big? I am 5'11 and its a 20 inch frame. According to their website 20 inch frame fits 5'10-6'1. Which I know to be not that accurate. The bike is a 2018 Felt Doctrine 6, I am coming from a 2004 Gary Fisher Mamba. So I expect the geometry to be totally different. Am I over thinking this?

I would be shocked if you're to small for that bike at 5'11". By todays standard that bikes geo is more consistent with a medium (Reach/Wheelbase)with the exception of maybe the top tube length. How long was the original stem that you downsized to a 50mm stem?

Also, the stock bars on that bike are something like 720mm. How wide our your new bars? The wider they're the more stretched out you might feel. My guess, what you're feeling is the difference between a very dated geo and a more modern one. Give it time to adjust.

Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
I appreciate the comment, on the felt its like 720 mm, I got a 50mm stem and some new bars to bring the cockpit closer. When im on the felt I love it, I just see alot of these other guys with the saddle way up high and mine is not. I know, not something I should compare

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 16:35 Quote
showtyme4000 wrote:
I appreciate the comment, on the felt its like 720 mm, I got a 50mm stem and some new bars to bring the cockpit closer. When im on the felt I love it, I just see alot of these other guys with the saddle way up high and mine is not. I know, not something I should compare

Your saddle height, or how much it sticks out, could have a lot to do with seat tube length.

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 5:32 Quote
Barks82 wrote:
showtyme4000 wrote:

Your saddle height, or how much it sticks out, could have a lot to do with seat tube length.

Yes, seems that the seat tube length is quite long.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008308
Mobile Version of Website