Broken collarbone, surgery or not?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken collarbone, surgery or not?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2022 at 8:35 Quote
Hey everyone so I broke my collarbone pretty badly a week ago and I am wondering if people have had surgery or not and how the recovery and general state has been afterwards. I will post a photo when I figure out how but the outer bit of bone has gone under the inner bit by about 2 cm

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
https://m.pinkbike.com/photo/22226918/

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
I'm sorry to hear about your injury, hope you are not in too much pain.

I broke mine about 10 years ago now, wasn't quite as bad but also fully displaced. I had surgery and have 0 regrets, talking to other people, who did not have surgery, they have issues with a lump in the location, ongoing sensitivity around the lump and lopsided shoulders.

I had a plate put in, usual post surgery issues around anesthetic, pain, numbness in the area. Then a couple of years later i had the plate taken out, for me it was quite visible and i could "feel" it while exercising.

The area around the break and incision was quite sensitive to touch for a few years. Massages help to break down the scar tissue i believe.

Recovery time with/without surgery is about the same but your Dr should have a better idea.

In summary - I 100% recommend surgery, that's my opinion

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
Thank you very much mate, I’m leaning that way but the consultant said it was literally 50-50 there was no medical opinion. I am a very skinny build currently (will be working to remedy it in the future) so the plate would probably be noticeable, how did the operation to get it out compare to the first/ how bad was it?

Posted: Mar 17, 2022 at 4:56 Quote
I would say yes you need surgery. If told otherwise I would seek a second opinion. The plates sleek and are curved, tapered edges and they are made to contour the bone. The xrays do not show how smooth these little plates are.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
B-foster wrote:
Thank you very much mate, I’m leaning that way but the consultant said it was literally 50-50 there was no medical opinion. I am a very skinny build currently (will be working to remedy it in the future) so the plate would probably be noticeable, how did the operation to get it out compare to the first/ how bad was it?

The plates are curved, and tapered, and on some people you can't tell. But the surgery to remove was a fairly quick recovery, but you still have to take it easy as the screws leave holes in your bones that need to heal. Otherwise for me they cleaned up a bunch scar tissue and there was some pain but nothing like the original recovery.

Good luck

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 17, 2022 at 14:01 Quote
Alright, I’m going ahead with getting it plated, thanks very much again for your help, much appreciated

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 6:38 Quote
@WiParson Much better thanks mate, got a dozen pins and a plate, physio is going well and I hope to be back to riding after my scan in a couple weeks.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2022 at 7:09 Quote
B-foster wrote:
@WiParson Much better thanks mate, got a dozen pins and a plate, physio is going well and I hope to be back to riding after my scan in a couple weeks.

Surgery was the right choice for me after I fractured my collarbone. All of the muscles around my shoulder were spasming until the surgery put everything back into place.

Even though the plate is strong, your bone won't be healed for at least 6 weeks. If you ride too soon and there's movement in the ends of the bone you could end up with a non-union. Even though it'll be tempting to ride it would be better to wait until you're healed. Best of luck!

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 10, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
Natchot wrote:
B-foster wrote:

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the help, its going good and I'm riding again, not quite where I was but a month or two in the gym should solve that. How did your mates surgery go?

Surgery was the right choice for me after I fractured my collarbone. All of the muscles around my shoulder were spasming until the surgery put everything back into place.

Even though the plate is strong, your bone won't be healed for at least 6 weeks. If you ride too soon and there's movement in the ends of the bone you could end up with a non-union. Even though it'll be tempting to ride it would be better to wait until you're healed. Best of luck!

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 23:51 Quote
they often give you a choice, get the surgery as you are doing if they give you a choice. I waited and tried natural, just wasted time. plate is fine. and im 100% afterwards even at 59

Posted: Sep 25, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
I had my collarbone broken into 3 pieces 1 year ago. Had it repaired surgically with a plate. Docter told me to have it removed by the end of this year. Another crash would lead to a fracture at the end of the plate and would be more complicated. Today I crashed by overshooting a jump and landing on my front wheel resulting in a otb and landing on my shoulder and ribs. The shoulder is only aching minor in comparison to the bruised ribs and it is relatively mobile. But I have a suspicious feeling the plate is properly bent. The collarbone feels like in one piece but there is an odd curve that I haven't noticed in the past. Maybe caused by swelling( I hope). Haven't been to the hospital yet and I am going to wait to see how it wil progres

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010240
Mobile Version of Website