How long do I need to wait for a full on DH e-MTB?

PB Forum :: eMTB
How long do I need to wait for a full on DH e-MTB?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
Soo... I'm looking to make the switch to an e-bike, but if I do, I feel like the e-bike I want is a long-travel, super plush, full on dual crown DH bike... Let the electrons help the climb, and gravity for the downhill..

Are there any companies doing this yet?

Or would a retro-fit kit be a better path forward??

Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 13:55 Quote
MRED-mtb wrote:
Soo... I'm looking to make the switch to an e-bike, but if I do, I feel like the e-bike I want is a long-travel, super plush, full on dual crown DH bike... Let the electrons help the climb, and gravity for the downhill..

It's not a dual crown bike but the new YT Decoy MX looks pretty darn sendy.

Lots of dudes hitting HARD stuff on YTs that I've seen and the things just plow.

I'll bet the full-on DH rigs will be budding soon, but I can't think of any out just yet.

Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 18:00 Quote
MRED-mtb wrote:

Build one yourself and put the battery inside a backpack - when there's an uplift you can ditch the battery altogether. I don't think there are any DH proof retro kits out there right now, may be wrong though.

O+
Posted: Mar 21, 2022 at 22:11 Quote
It isn't quite a DH bike but the Specialized Turbo Kenevo is 180/180 with a dual crown.

And I wonder if Cascade has a link coming for it - they've already done the Levo...

Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 2:28 Quote
Husqvarna Extreme Cross 10….. 200mm Dh ebike, never seen one in person but they look authentic from the reviews on YouTube….. been around a few years… possibly up for a overhaul upgrade redesign….

Pole has the Voima…. 190mm front and rear possibly compatible to run a duel crown fork….

Flick back a few pages…. there is an older post on DH ebike s….

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
https://www.haibike.com/de/en/ebikes/emountainbikes/downhill/dwnhll-de1159?id=45186142

Haibike makes one but they haven’t updated it in a couple years. 500wh battery will not make for a bike park day worth off laps, I’m afraid.

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
Assuming you mean 200+mm of travel? By that criteria it only has 180mm but Specialized Kenevo is offered with dual crown.

I'm surprised there hasnt been a DH focused ebike with a Fauza motor/battery yet. Seems like the idea of a removable battery/motor pack is ideal for XC bikes (Trek Caliber) and for DH.

Run motor on self shuttle days with a 2x assist on a 7sp setup would be fine for fire roads. Remove motor/battery for days at the chairlift park and shed a bunch of excess weight.

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 11:16 Quote
A06 wrote:
Assuming you mean 200+mm of travel? By that criteria it only has 180mm but Specialized Kenevo is offered with dual crown.

I'm surprised there hasnt been a DH focused ebike with a Fauza motor/battery yet. Seems like the idea of a removable battery/motor pack is ideal for XC bikes (Trek Caliber) and for DH.

Run motor on self shuttle days with a 2x assist on a 7sp setup would be fine for fire roads. Remove motor/battery for days at the chairlift park and shed a bunch of excess weight.

YES, A million time YES... THIS!

Posted: Mar 23, 2022 at 12:30 Quote
I think the Kenevo Turbo would fit the bill pretty well for most riders. So many of the parks are getting groomed so well anymore that I personally don't have the need for a full-on DH bike. A 180 enduro pretty much is a do anything machine today. I sure wouldn't have said that 10 years ago.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 11:57 Quote
Xlr8n wrote:
I think the Kenevo Turbo would fit the bill pretty well for most riders. So many of the parks are getting groomed so well anymore that I personally don't have the need for a full-on DH bike. A 180 enduro pretty much is a do anything machine today. I sure wouldn't have said that 10 years ago.

I can only speak to SoCal area but agree with you completely. I gave much consideration to a full DH bike and in the end I just couldn't justify it. TBH my skill level wouldn't use all of the travel and after putting coils front (F38/Smashpot at 170mm) and rear (165mm) have yet to bottom out on the jumps I'm comfortable with.

Mammoth, Big Bear and Skypark are so groomed I have fun on the blue lines with my hardtail Chromag.

The penalty of running dual crowns on the more enduro/DH self shuttle lines is I find the turning is impaired for to navigate tight uphill switchbacks. Ridding a mullet probably isnt helping either but thats the bikes geo so not something I can change.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
You also have the Intense Tazer MX & Husqvarna Extreme Cross which are both dual crowns eMTBs.

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 10:35 Quote
A06 wrote:

Husqvarna has a full on DH ebike, 200mm front and rear travel.
https://www.husqvarna-bicycles.com/en-ca/models/downhill/extreme-cross-102021.html

A riding buddy has one and it's pretty awesome. Pole offers the Vioma as just a frame set if someone wanted to build one and it has a 190mm rear travel and is dual crown compatable.

Some of the other ebikes mentioned with dual crowns like the Tazer don't have enough rear suspension to be considered close to a true DH bike in my option. It gets you close but I just think a 155mm of rear wheel travel can't be considered DH when there's trail ebikes with that much rear wheel travel.

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 16:51 Quote
Yes,, those are getting close....

Maybe a conversion kit maybe the way to go until the market catches up with my desires..

Posted: Mar 28, 2022 at 19:19 Quote
MRED-mtb wrote:
Yes,, those are getting close....

Maybe a conversion kit maybe the way to go until the market catches up with my desires..

I really think you should look at the Pole Vioma, it would be a 200mm/190mm travel bike with arguably the best motor with the Bosch and a 750watt battery. And you can buy it as a frame and build it exactly how you want. The frame geo is very much DH.

https://polebicycles.com/voima/

Posted: Apr 4, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
The Norco Range Vlt is pretty DH focused. It’s 180/170 but not dual crown. It’s very long and slack, similar geo to a Kenevo with the caveat that it’s a 29er. So far it’s the most DH feeling eMTB I’ve ridden.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009951
Mobile Version of Website