Angle Headsets: What's Your Experience?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Angle Headsets: What's Your Experience?
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 4, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
englertracing wrote:
The Wolftooth can't be as good as the works.
The works sells different cups per 10mm headtube length
Wolftooth only has short and long.
Leads to misalignment and a different change to HA than advertised.

This a good bit of insight. Thanks.

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
Hi all,
I have a Works Components angleset installed on my bike. The top cup keeps slightly rotating in the frame over the course of a few weeks. I installed with normal bike grease.

Any advice on what to use to keep it more secure? Like a retaining compound? Noting that I do want the ability to remove it in the future, and it's a carbon frame.

Thanks!

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 15:55 Quote
Loctite green will probably do the trick but I'd check the headtube dims if its really rotating, sounds sketchy and suspicious

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 18:45 Quote
I've seen factory assembled carbon bikes come with loctite

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 18:50 Quote
Assembly paste.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 1:25 Quote
k1campbell wrote:
Hi all,
I have a Works Components angleset installed on my bike. The top cup keeps slightly rotating in the frame over the course of a few weeks. I installed with normal bike grease.

Any advice on what to use to keep it more secure? Like a retaining compound? Noting that I do want the ability to remove it in the future, and it's a carbon frame.

Thanks!

Check first to see if you're missing any washers, or that it's not done up too tight. It absolutely should not be rotating in the frame. Clean the grease off and refit using loctite if you absolutely have to, but not assembly paste as suggested. If it's moving for any reason, assembly paste will potentially exacerbate the problem as it grinds away at your headtube. Find out why it's moving first.

Dumb question, it's definitely the right size, right?

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 1:27 Quote
I would also suggest to anyone here with a Works one to repack the bearings with as much grease as poss. I've just replaced the bearings in mine which were wrecked after one very wet muddy ride. The bearing pretty much disintegrated when I removed it.
Have replaced with repacked and much better sealed bearings and it's running great again.

Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
Definitely the correct size and no parts missing. Good point about not using assembly paste to avoid potential grinding.

The bike is a Transition Spire carbon. When i removed the stock headset, I saw it had been installed with a blue/green compound that was set hard. Almost like a filler/resin. Perhaps headset fit/retention is an issue, hence why that was used from factory.

I have emailed Transition to ask their advice.

Thanks![/Quote]

Check first to see if you're missing any washers, or that it's not done up too tight. It absolutely should not be rotating in the frame. Clean the grease off and refit using loctite if you absolutely have to, but not assembly paste as suggested. If it's moving for any reason, assembly paste will potentially exacerbate the problem as it grinds away at your headtube. Find out why it's moving first.

Dumb question, it's definitely the right size, right?[/Quote]

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 13:24 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
Negative my dude, your cockpit will shrink with changes to head angle. You're very focused on proving reach increases with an angleset (it does, we all agree) but you're doing some incorrect calculus and I don't believe considering fit implications. There is a countereffect to pivoting the steerer

Sure, if you insist on fixing stack height as you have done, with an insane amount of spacers and steer tube length which nobody would ever do even if they would try a 45 deg HA

so if we are ok with letting the stack height drop a little, leaving same number of spacers and stem/handlebar setup, or similar at least, reach appears to increase no?

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 13:47 Quote
Depends on what the decrease in angle is and the decrease in stack. Reach will only increase if you're front end drops in height compared to stock. And that drop is low enough to extend the reach beyond the slightly setback stem... Case by case.

Of course this can all be remedied by a slightly longer stem... So it's really bike owners preference.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
fielding wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:
Negative my dude, your cockpit will shrink with changes to head angle. You're very focused on proving reach increases with an angleset (it does, we all agree) but you're doing some incorrect calculus and I don't believe considering fit implications. There is a countereffect to pivoting the steerer

Sure, if you insist on fixing stack height as you have done, with an insane amount of spacers and steer tube length which nobody would ever do even if they would try a 45 deg HA

so if we are ok with letting the stack height drop a little, leaving same number of spacers and stem/handlebar setup, or similar at least, reach appears to increase no?

The premise of the post you're quoting is that anyone who cares about fit will preserve bar height. By your logic you could also just grab some length (not reach) by slamming the stem, but its not always a valid trade in a world where WC and EWS pros (and a lot of us here too, if it weren't obvious) are sensitive to a few mm of bar height position.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
My experience: bought the works 1.5°, then realized my bike was just fine, so never installed it. Hasn’t failed me yet, it sits on the bench exactly where I left it.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007269
Mobile Version of Website