Slopeduro

Posted: Apr 3, 2023 at 18:30 Quote
I think all Sram brakes just feel spongy when compared to Shimano. I personally run Magura MT7 mainly and Sram Level T on my dirt jumper.

Posted: Apr 3, 2023 at 22:41 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
I think all Sram brakes just feel spongy when compared to Shimano. I personally run Magura MT7 mainly and Sram Level T on my dirt jumper.

If they feel spongy then it's a bad bleed. None of my SRAM brakes have soft lever feel. But you also might not be used to modulation. Shimano brakes feel "solid" because the power doesn't modulate as you pull the lever with different amounts of force. They're just "on/off" for the most part.

Posted: Apr 4, 2023 at 7:33 Quote
It's far more than on/off

Posted: Apr 4, 2023 at 11:51 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
It's far more than on/off

It's not, at least not compared to SRAM's modulation.

Posted: Apr 4, 2023 at 12:33 Quote
How do you like magura brakes? For a slopeduro bike, I'd be learning things and crashing, like on my dj, that's why I like cheap brakes there

Posted: Apr 4, 2023 at 23:44 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
How do you like magura brakes? For a slopeduro bike, I'd be learning things and crashing, like on my dj, that's why I like cheap brakes there

As a mechanic I hate Magura brakes. They're difficult to bleed, they use plastic master cylinders and bleed port screws, and they have a spongy lever feel. I've had to warranty so many of their levers and calipers that I just don't recommend them to any customers anymore.

Posted: Apr 5, 2023 at 7:40 Quote
That's what I've been starting to think myself. They are always spongy, even after bleeding and bleeding is hard, and at first I didn't realize how weak the bleed port screw was, so it is almost completely stripped. At first though, those brakes had power like nearly twice of a code.

Posted: Apr 5, 2023 at 9:24 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
That's what I've been starting to think myself. They are always spongy, even after bleeding and bleeding is hard, and at first I didn't realize how weak the bleed port screw was, so it is almost completely stripped. At first though, those brakes had power like nearly twice of a code.

They don't though, at least not on paper. Everyone up here either runs Code RSCs or TRP DH-R Evos. 200mm rear 220mm front for the most part. I run G2 RSC/Ultimates with 180mm rotors on my trail bike, and I feel like they provide the most consistent braking performance of anything out there.

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 14:14 Quote
What would be the best frame to start off a slopeduro build. Just wondering cause I def won’t fit on a dj.

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 14:16 Quote
Marin makes some good low travel rigs, yt for budget, transition patrol

Posted: Apr 14, 2023 at 14:24 Quote
I thought the alloy Kona Process 27.5 would be a pretty good starting place.
photo

Posted: Apr 18, 2023 at 14:55 Quote
Just get an older 26 or 27.5 dh frame and be done with it.

Posted: Apr 18, 2023 at 17:52 Quote
Just remember, with older 26ers, a lot of things on those bikes will be harder to find and out of date

Posted: Apr 18, 2023 at 17:52 Quote
If you go used with an older bike

Posted: Apr 19, 2023 at 6:54 Quote
What reach should I look for. Being 6ft+

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011931
Mobile Version of Website