Slopeduro

Posted: Apr 19, 2023 at 10:10 Quote
8a71b4 wrote:
Just get an older 26 or 27.5 dh frame and be done with it.

Most older bikes ride like shit if you're used to riding modern bikes. When I built my latest Blur 4X I used all modern parts and tech and it still wasn't as fun to ride as I remembered.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 8:35 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
Just remember, with older 26ers, a lot of things on those bikes will be harder to find and out of date

Not really. Older DH hubs are 12x150, which are still in production. Everything else is easy to source. Frame bearings are all industry standard designation, bottom bracket standards or headset standards haven't changed. You can run a 27.5 fork with a 26 wheel, should make it even better for slopestyle as it would raise the front a little bit.

The only thing that may be a little bit hard to find is pivot bolts, however usually there is a place or seller on ebay that has them. You can also get internally threaded rods from McMaster carr, cut them to the right size, and then use 2 bolts with washers from either side.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 8:40 Quote
seraph wrote:
8a71b4 wrote:
Just get an older 26 or 27.5 dh frame and be done with it.

Most older bikes ride like shit if you're used to riding modern bikes. When I built my latest Blur 4X I used all modern parts and tech and it still wasn't as fun to ride as I remembered.

Yes, because modern bike geo is longer and slacker. My SC Bullet in the profile pic rides like a trail bike, despite having 200mm front 180mm rear travel, and is way less composed in corners than a modern 29 trail bike.

However, for slopeduro where the goal is to throw tricks, you want a short twitchy bike that feels like a slightly bigger full suspension dirt jumper.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 16:21 Quote
Was debating on a 20 or 19 SC tallboy fame and building that up.

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 19:18 Quote
For a slope duro, you probably won't want carbon, and the geometry is more for xc

Posted: May 1, 2023 at 19:29 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
For a slope duro, you probably won't want carbon, and the geometry is more for xc

The Tallboy is far from XC geometry, but it is a full 29er which is not the ideal wheel size for slopestyle. My suggestion would be to find an older alloy 5010 and start there.

Posted: May 2, 2023 at 10:29 Quote
What about a Bronson, a little more travel

Posted: May 2, 2023 at 12:13 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
What about a Bronson, a little more travel

Yeah, actually an older Bronson would be all right I think. Keep an eye out for an alloy Bronson 3.

Posted: Jul 18, 2023 at 16:55 Quote
I highly recommend the status as a slopeduro. I ride an s3 with a 170 Zeb up front, SS, 165 cranks, pivotal post. I absolutely love it, I shred downhill with it, i dirt jump with it, and it's at home at the bike park.

Posted: Jul 18, 2023 at 18:05 Quote
Ended up getting a mx Capra. Will just set it up for barspins.

Posted: Jul 18, 2023 at 18:11 Quote
Also might get a remedy or remedy frame, maybe even a ticket frame, cause I work at a trek shop.

Posted: Jul 20, 2023 at 7:17 Quote
Michael-co wrote:
Also might get a remedy or remedy frame, maybe even a ticket frame, cause I work at a trek shop.

I'll take a ticket s frame, please

FL
Posted: Jul 31, 2023 at 15:22 Quote
Any one know any good headset top caps to fish the brake through?

Posted: Jul 31, 2023 at 15:38 Quote
Grn-mcn wrote:
Any one know any good headset top caps to fish the brake through?

I reckon you can make a hole in pretty much any top cap you like. Just make sure you deburr it so it's not cutting the hose/cable housing. All the top cap needs to do is apply pressure to the headset bearings when you adjust them. Disclaimer: I haven't done this to my bike because I don't have a front brake on my DJ. Thought about doing it, though.

Posted: Jul 31, 2023 at 15:41 Quote
Note: I assume you know you'll still need to get it routed past the star nut.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013459
Mobile Version of Website