Downieville Trail Conditions?

PB Forum :: USA - West
Downieville Trail Conditions?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 12:45 Quote
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has a report on the Downieville Downhill/Butcher Ranch Trails? I am planning a "team building" trip out there with some co-workers in Reno and want to know when the snow is gone.

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
samdeatley wrote:
Hi! I'm wondering if anyone has a report on the Downieville Downhill/Butcher Ranch Trails? I am planning a "team building" trip out there with some co-workers in Reno and want to know when the snow is gone.
I hear they are open.

O+
Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
I used to ride Downieville frequently when I lived in Northern CA. I wouldn't plan on riding any of the upper elevation trails off of packer saddle until at least after Memorial Day weekend. I've frequently seen snow patches covering the trails up there well into June.

I'd call Yuba Expeditions or Downieville Outfitters to get info on trail conditions and shuttle operations.
Checking the webcams for the local Tahoe ski resorts will also give you a vague idea how much snow is still left in the northern Sierra.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 21:32 Quote
Is downieville worth the trip for more gravity focused riders?

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 15:06 Quote
Murphius wrote:
Is downieville worth the trip for more gravity focused riders?

In my opinion, yes. It's not the Whistler Bike Park but it's very fast, sorta-technical, trail riding that happens to be mostly downhill. There's still some flat pedal sections and the occasional punchy10 second climb, but the descents make it worth it in my opinion. If you stick with the main Downieville Downhill route, there's only 1 notable climb at the end of Butcher Ranch but it's over in about 15 minutes. A 6" travel bike is ideal. A lighter trailbike will work and a DH bike is a bad idea unless you have the cardio of an Olympic athlete. It's still "trail riding" but it's almost all downhill or flat.
If you opt for the Big Boulder or Gold Valley Rim side-routes, those trails are fun too but require a lot more pedaling.

If you can fill the whole shuttle van, you should be able to get a ride to the Mills Peak trail. That's another fun one that's almost all down.

If you want more gravity oriented riding, Northstar is about 1.5 hours to the south along with some other DH trails near Northstar that shall not be named.

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 20:00 Quote
Sounds like it’s worth the trip, thanks for the feedback!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011783
Mobile Version of Website