Returning to mtb. need advice and looking to buy

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Returning to mtb. need advice and looking to buy
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 6, 2022 at 1:41 Quote
Hi guys! this may be a bit of a long read.i built up a downhill when i was younger, and never used it much (Stuck mainly to the bmx bikes). i am older now and looking to maybe pick the mountain bike back up. i realize though that the bike i built (a 2006 giant faith 1) is heavy and more for serious downhill, whereas i am looking to do more flowy trails, some bigger hits, but mostly lots of jumps and playing around (mainly bike park and random woods or trail finds). i want to get/build something that caters more to that (steeper headtube, light, playful, very responsive, and good for throwing around). one bike that always interested me would be a ns soda or soda slope. however, in the time i have been off, things have changed. i love the responsiveness of 26 inch wheels, and haven't even tried riding a 27.5 or 29 for more than a few minutes. However, i want something that i can keep for a while and not have any issues buying rims and tires. should i shy away from 26? does anyone know if a ns soda or soda slope will fit a 27.5? is 27.5 still relevant? is the travel on the slope enough for doing some freeride or mini downhill? if not, are there any bikes that you guys can recommend that may fit what i want? open to whole bikes, or frames, as i still have parts.

Posted: Apr 20, 2022 at 21:15 Quote
I would get a 27.5 bike. Transition scout might be a good option for you, it is shorter travel but is a pretty strong bike and can definitely take some bigger hits.

FL
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 4:50 Quote
I would say you should take your downhill bike to a few bike parks for a couple of months and see how you go before buying a bike with little knowledge of what you actually want to ride in the future.
A couple of trips to a bike park will give you an idea of what kind of travel bike would be best, especially if you didn't use your current bike too much in the past, then you could upgrade towards the end of the year when there may be more choice available.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009151
Mobile Version of Website