Dvo Topaz tuning on Ripmo

PB Forum :: Ibis
Dvo Topaz tuning on Ripmo
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
Seeing if anyone has played with spacers/air pressure on the Topaz to adjust the tune? Over all the factory tune for trail riding is decent, on drops tends to have harsh bottom out. I have ramped up air pressure on the aircan at 20 psi over recommended and small chamber at recommended. Factory tune I believe is two bands positive and one negative. I’ve placed one extra in each 3/2. The extra in the neg seems to make it harsh, but could have been the trails i was one. Just seeing others have played with this and what the have figured out?

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 9:30 Quote
Matt1013 wrote:
Seeing if anyone has played with spacers/air pressure on the Topaz to adjust the tune? Over all the factory tune for trail riding is decent, on drops tends to have harsh bottom out. I have ramped up air pressure on the aircan at 20 psi over recommended and small chamber at recommended. Factory tune I believe is two bands positive and one negative. I’ve placed one extra in each 3/2. The extra in the neg seems to make it harsh, but could have been the trails i was one. Just seeing others have played with this and what the have figured out?

I'm about 160lbs and running 150 psi for 30% sag with one band in the positive side only. I do use all the travel, but never feel when I hit the bottom. To me it felt really harsh when running the stock bands (2 pos. and 1 neg.). I'm also running 170 psi in the bladder, so if you're a bit heavier than me you could try increasing the bladder pressure to make the shock feel firmer. You could also try taking out the negative spacers to get a softer initial stroke.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 5:28 Quote
Thanks for the response. I'm 155 and am running 175 air/bladder. Biggest issue with running only two bands was on drops it would blow through the travel and have an awkward bottom out, not bad just not good. Adding the third band positive made the initial stroke to sensitive/active, and adding air pressure just got to be too much before it was overwhelming the rebound. Second band in negative seemed to just make it initially harsh.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 9:56 Quote
How big are these drops you're hitting? That seems like a lot of pressure and progression on your shock. For perspective, I don't really hit drops more than a few ft and have it set up to be comfortable on fast chunk mostly. The negative bands are probably not helping with the harshness though. You could try increasing the bladder pressure to 200 and see if that helps with bottom out support.

Otherwise Ibis specs the shocks with a really light damper tune, so maybe you need to get a custom tune. You could also consider a cascade link for more progression. Lastly, If you're hitting really massive features it could just be that you need a bigger bike with more squish. The ripmo only has 147mm out back.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 20:38 Quote
Adding single positive spacers doesn't have a huge affect, I weigh ~185 kitted up and I'm up to 5+/0- spacers in my topaz with 190 psi in the air can. I'm still trying to find a balanced setup that doesn't have too little sag. From stock there's just not much compression damping in that shock, if you're bottoming out frequently with those settings I wouldn't hesitate to go up to 200 psi in the bladder either, it's possible you're getting some cavitation in the damper and that will help with that.

Posted: Apr 28, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
Ibis updated their tuning guide for the Ripmo on their site that I found helpful as a starting point. Look for Set Up under Ripmo specs.

After lots of trial and error, I ended up with 2 spacers on the negative side and 1 on the positive. Below are my settings. I weigh about 190lbs kitted up and ride fairly technical trails.

Fork:
60psi for 30% sag (48mm)
LSC position 1 (6 total)
HSC Open +2 (5 total)
Rebound Open +12 (30 total)
OTT 11 turns CW (14 total)

Shock:
190psi for 30% sag (15mm)
Bladder @ 180psi
LSC full open
Rebound Open +4 (10 total)
1 pos/2 neg spacers

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 17:54 Quote
Interesting there is so much variation in tuning. I’m about 155-160 kitted. Just bumped to 178 air can and 181 in the bladder. Only one ride in before bike yoke seat clamp died. So will be a bit bf more review until parts. What I did see was less sensitivity. So I’ll probably back off the bladder next.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
Thought I might as well post this in here as more people see it,

The rear end feels pretty harsh right now, but I am blowing through all my travel on stuff that I really shouldn't be (rough blacks and 3 foot drops are a harsh bottom out.) Neither the fork (onyx) or shock feel progressive at all.

Current settings for 160 lbs are 150 psi main, 180 psi in the bladder (10 over recommended, none of the guides explain what the bladder actually does to how the shock feel, i assume it stiffens it up a little), rebound is 8 from closed, compression open, and I assume the spacers are 2 pos and 1 neg

I am thinking maybe I need to mess with spacers?

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 15:35 Quote
Have you tried adding more air? Could be sitting too low in the travel and feeling harsh because of that. I'm at my bodyweight in PSI on this setup.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:04 Quote
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
Have you tried adding more air? Could be sitting too low in the travel and feeling harsh because of that. I'm at my bodyweight in PSI on this setup.
Thats probably not a bad idea, little bit counter intuitive but maybe that will help.
Rebound is also feeling pretty slow even all the way open so might also help with that

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 16:45 Quote
13en wrote:
OpeSorryAbootThat wrote:
Thats probably not a bad idea, little bit counter intuitive but maybe that will help.
Rebound is also feeling pretty slow even all the way open so might also help with that

A bit counterintuitive but If the spring rate is too low and your deep in the travel when hitting bumps it can feel harsh. same goes if the rebound is too slow.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005511
Mobile Version of Website