Palm Canyon Epic

PB Forum :: USA - West
Palm Canyon Epic
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 9:38 Quote
I have to go to Palm Springs for a work conference week of April 18. I booked my flight a day early to hopefully rent a bike and ride. Want to do the Palm Canyon Epic but reading online that it's something best done Dec-Feb because of the heat. Is it possible to do this with an early AM start and be back by 12-1pm while the temps are cooler.

Any locals have recommendations on shuttle services or whatever? There might be 1-2 more of us going.

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
BLUF: possible yes - not recommended based on your information.

I'm not a Palm Springs local, but my friends have ridden this trail plenty.

You'll need to shuttle and you should go with a buddy or a group that has done it before. Do not go solo unless you've got plenty of experience on this trail. I don't recommend riding unless somebody in your group has done it and knows the way. You can get off track and end up lost. If that happens combined with high temperatures you can get into an emergency, life threatening situation quickly. If you have nobody to ride with that has the route figured out then you must have a solid navigation plan and not just a cell phone app. Think about a dedicated GPS navigation device with the course loaded and extra power/batteries so it doesn't die during the ride. I always use a handheld Garmin hiking device when I'm exploring a new territory. I buckle it to my shoulder strap and stay on track. I bring extra batteries.

Is it possible to ride in April? Sure, but you've missed the best months to ride so it will be hot. Southern California is in a heat wave right now. Also it gets hot in the desert very early - right after sunrise - so trying to ride in the early AM is a good idea to beat the worst heat, but you won't beat it for long and you can expect to get very hot. I don't recommend riding unless you have plenty of skill, endurance, proper equipment, clothing and sunblock. There is no shade on this trail - you will be exposed to the full might of the sun the whole time and it will be scorching. The temperatures in the shade will be over 90F so in the sun expect furious heat. If you are not used to riding in temps that will reach +100 F temps for HOURS then don't do this.

You'll need lots of water - think nothing less than 3 liters and some would say bring at least 4 liters. You will be climbing and you will be sweating. And you will need to replace your electrolytes - consider that as well. And you'll need food to stay fueled.

Here's a link that may help you:
https://www.mountainbikebill.com/PalmCanyon.htm

There are other trails and routes closer to Palm Springs that may be a better selection.

Good luck.

O+
Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 9:56 Quote
Thanks for the info. I'm a pretty capable rider, been riding MTB on and off for 25 years but always in the midwest. I know the dangers of the desert but not experienced first hand. I don't intend to go solo and have both a wahoo element roam and a handheld GPS. Planned on loading a route file off ridewithgps so it would at least alert me of a turn but I also am fully aware of the capability limitations of such a device on MTB trails.

I'm not so concerned with the trails or the distance or climbing, I'm good with all that even in the heat. Mostly concerned with just how HOT it really is. I'm coming from IL and it's been damp and cool so I wouldn't be acclimated. I'll watch the forecast and make a decision on how to proceed this weekend before I leave.

Is there a FB group or anything for coachella valley MTBer? I can't find anything to see if I can find a local that wants to go.

O+
Posted: Apr 12, 2022 at 8:23 Quote
I have ridden the Palm Canyon Epic more times than I can count back when I lived in SoCal. I freakin' love that trail. In my opinion, it's one of the best rides in the western US.

Everything BenLow2019 mentions is exactly correct. This is NOT a trail you want to ride during a hot day. There's zero water along the trail and zero shade. It's a very much a remote backcountry trail. When I last rode it (2016-ish) most of the route had zero cell phone reception. If something goes wrong, it's going to be a loooong hike out over very rugged terrain under a beating sun. The mojave desert heat is no joke. Back in 2012, a friend of one of my riding buddies died from heat stroke while riding this trail in April.

I'd also advise you to bring some pads to cover your shins. There's thousands of Cholla cacti that are along side of the trail. Sometimes those cacti are encroaching into the trail. The chances are overwhelming you'll catch a few cactus needles in your shins. Better to catch them in your shin pads than in your flesh.

I don't want to completely scare you away though. If you can find a local group who is familiar with the route and you have a window of cooler weather, it's definitely worth it. Just be meticulous about your preparation. If you go, start before dawn, go with a group familiar with the trail, bring lots of water and have a solid navigation plan. If the forecast is 90 degrees or above, I would seriously reconsider.

Part of the Palm Canyon Epic

Crazy Bear used to run frequent shuttle groups to palm canyon. I'm not sure if he still does.
https://www.crazybearbikes.com

Posted: Jun 14, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
@DLMKA - did you ever do this? If so how'd it go?

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 14:10 Quote
I believe Palm Desert Bikes and Brews does a shuttle now. There's also a sick jump line at the beginning

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012908
Mobile Version of Website