BC road trip ending with Crankworx Whistler

PB Forum :: Canada - West
BC road trip ending with Crankworx Whistler
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
Hi guys,

me and my friend are planning 3-week road trip to BC this summer and need some help with planning. I noticed that there was similar thread and I read through it, but I would like to keep it separately as we will also come to Crankworx Whistler. We live in Europe and this will be our first time riding in Canada.

Our starting and ending point is Vancouver airport. We do not mind driving a lot, but we need to keep our budget reasonable. We plan to rent a car and book BnB's, optionally RV or a van if significantly cheaper, but our research showed otherwise.

About us: I am 32 years old and my friend just turned 40. We like to ride technical trails, fast & flowy singletracks, can handle some jumps and gaps, but we avoid pro lines and dirt jumps. Our hobby is to race urban downhill.

The idea is to cover a few areas (iconic trails, freeride spots) before heading for Crankworx Whistler. We want to pick a few must visit trails and ride with locals if possible. Outside of Whistler we plan to pedal or take shuttle where it is much more convenient or very steep.

Our draft plan:
North Shore - 3 days (Mt. Fromme, Mt. Seymour)
Kamloops - 4 days (Kamloops Bike Ranch, trails around the area)
Not decided yet - 3 days or more
Whistler - 10 days or less (without a car, mostly bike park laps until we are able to and until main events show up)

When I was a kid I really enjoyed Stund episodes. It could be really cool to check a few spots, if they still exist. Farwell Canyon is also on my list, but I am not sure, if our level of riding is good enough and it is also quite far. Squamish and easier version of rock slabs could be also fun for us.

What would you pick as the third location? Is there anything important we should consider in August besides crowds?

I appreciate your help.
Thank you in advance!
Maros

Posted: Apr 10, 2022 at 17:24 Quote
If you were to add something, I'd check out sun Peaks bike park since you're going to Kamloops anyway (it's like 1h from Kamloops). Or silverstar bike park. Both are awesome, and it's sounds like you are downhill focused so going to bike parks where you can smash put laps will be better than hiking around freeride spots too.

The other thing to pay attention to in August is wildfires, the interior of the province is usually more affected than the coast so if they're bad again this summer maybe spend more time in Whistler/squamish or add sunshine coast (coast gravity park) or Vancouver Island (Mt Washington bike park, Cumberland, Nanaimo, Cowichan valley)

Posted: Apr 12, 2022 at 16:11 Quote
I can't imagine not riding Squamish and Pemberton if you like fast technical singletrack. Shore is my local and honestly I'd just do one day at Seymour to get a flavour for it and spend the rest of the time up the Sea to Sky... Or maybe do a morning ride at Seymour and afternoon/evening at Fromme?

Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 12:47 Quote
Thank you both for the tips. I checked the bike parks and the trails are sick. We will definitely check those together. I see that Sunshine Coast and Vancouver Island would be our backup plan for now.

To be honest I am not sure what to expect from the North Shore. I watched many videos of these trails and for me It has the vibes that we would like to explore it for more than a day. Maybe it's the skinnies thing. I think we will definitely ride Squamish at least, if not Pemberton. It is driving distance from Vancouver anyway.

We will sit down at the end of April to finalize details as we already have our flight tickets booked.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 6:32 Quote
Hi,
Kamloops in August can be very hot, like 37°c during the day. Definitely not the best place to ride in the heat. And I'm from the south of France so we know about heat.
Like said, Sun Peaks is a must if Silverstar is very good to ride.
Squamish has a little bit of everything, the climb are not too steep and the trail system is amazing. And you have a shuttler (The Shred Shuttle) to help you doing laps.
Of course if it's your first time in BC, you have to spend some time on the iconic North Shore. It's so different from what we have here in Europe.
My trip will be in July for me this year (but not the first trip for me).
Just be careful, BC is addictive so it's your first trip but I'm pretty sure it won't be your last Wink

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
Thanks for the tips. I think we will take our chances with Kamloops anyway and avoid worst hours under the sun. We don't want to miss it. Have a nice trip there in July! What is your plan this time?

We finally updated our schedule and have everything booked already. We will stay in 3 areas, a week for each:
1. Coquitlam - SUV rental
2. Kamloops - Pick Up rental - do you guys know where can we rent a tailgate for a week/ or to buy it cheap?
3. Whistler - no rental car

In each location we will ride a few special trails, then see what locals recommend and decide on the go. Besides riding days we will need to take days off to check a few tourist spots, have some fun at beaches, lakes and try local beer, wine etc.

Week 1 North Shore - 1 to 2 days (Mt. Fromme and Mt. Seymour for woodwork)
Week 1 Squamish - 2 days (for rock slabs & fast singletracks), 1 day at Pemberton would be another option
Week 2 Kamloops - 2 days (for freeride trails at Kamloops Bike Ranch and Haprer Mountain)
Week 2 Kamloops/Kelowna/Vernon - 2 days (for freeride trails at Gillard, or bike park laps at Sun Peaks or Silver Star)
Week 3 Whistler 4 days (bike park laps)

Fingers crossed for the trip. We are looking forward to ride in BC.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 0:00 Quote
I'll start with 2 days in Silverstar, then 3 days in Sun Peaks and after I'll move to Whistler for 6 days in the bike park, 1 day outside the bike park (Hopefully TOTW will be open by then) and 2 days in Squamish.
When I will drop my friend to the airport in Vancouver, I will ride one day on the North Shore. Possibly Seymour or Fromme, don't know yet.

Posted: Jul 11, 2022 at 0:48 Quote
Sounds intense as well. Enjoy the trip! I've never ridden so many days all together so I am really curious how it works out.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006086
Mobile Version of Website