26 in Cruelty

Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 11:31 Quote
I find it cruel to not make good 26 inch bikes anymore. Everybody with older bikes like me is suffering with poor fork upgrades, but meanwhile, the 27.5 and 29 inch folks are suffering from less agile bikes. I'm not wealthy and love my bike and it's good price, but I'm afraid I'll have to get a bike with 27.5 wheels, so that I can upgrade more things. Anyone know why they don't make good 26 in bikes anymore? other than slopestylesMadder

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 0:12 Quote
Because 29er are faster and things move on. I’m 5’9 (so not tall) and I don’t have any issue with my 29er I’ve had 3 months. I was worried about going from 27.5 to 29er that I’d be buzzing myself on the rear wheel / it was going to be difficult to get round corner / it would be less fun but that’s not the case at all.

I’m not even on a short travel / particularly agile 29er either - on a 2022 Transition Sentinel alloy weighing about 34lbs and built up with lyriks / codes etc.

I wouldn’t move 26er to 27.5 now - you’ll end up disappointed in supply of parts for that in a few years time potentially as the move is to 29er / mullet.

I reckon a mullet bike could be a good option for you to look at - 29er front / 27.5 to get a touch more rear manoeuvrability. Something like a Specialized Status 140 looks a great allrounder.

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 3:21 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
I find it cruel to not make good 26 inch bikes anymore. Everybody with older bikes like me is suffering with poor fork upgrades, but meanwhile, the 27.5 and 29 inch folks are suffering from less agile bikes. I'm not wealthy and love my bike and it's good price, but I'm afraid I'll have to get a bike with 27.5 wheels, so that I can upgrade more things. Anyone know why they don't make good 26 in bikes anymore? other than slopestylesMadder
29 is better than 26

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 6:08 Quote
nicolai would probably cook something up for you. 26 ISNT DEAD

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 9:05 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
I find it cruel to not make good 26 inch bikes anymore. Anyone know why they don't make good 26 in bikes anymore?

Because marketing and forced obsolescence.

Always have to find something new to make you spend your money.

Bite the bullet and spend or not.

Posted: Apr 16, 2022 at 2:44 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:

29 is faster...no doubt.
I have more fun on 26 and speed doesn't really matter to me.

And you can go budget...
Just before covid I bought a 2012 Stumpy (elite 26) and rebuilt it from the bare frame (powder coating incl.)
Was lucky I ordered the parts before all troubles started, have about 2000 EUR in it.

The bike on it own was only 300 and besides the wheels, I can use the new GX groupset on any bike, same for dropper & brakes (SLX). Fork & shock serviced (full rebuild), new bearings, headset, the works. For that price I got 2 sets of wheels included, a new set with EX471 rims & fun works hubs & a almost new set of spline one wheels.

That's a fun bike for 2K

Now everyone is going 29, so I just bought an almost new 2017 Nomad cc/xx1 27.5 for less then the price of the enve wheelset that came with the bike.Not worried in the slightest, 26 is dead and after 10 years I can still pick up nice parts for cheap.

So...I love market changes.
Ride what you like

Posted: Apr 16, 2022 at 9:00 Quote
As long as people are having fun that’s the main thing.

I didn’t massively notice a difference from 27.5 to 29er but both bikes have the same reach. Both are pretty slack. New bike has the bigger wheels and a bit more suspension travel and I’m loving it. Not getting beaten up as much and riding harder stuff more of the time.

I actually had a tougher time going from 26er to 27.5 but I think that was a geometry thing rather than a wheel size thing.

I went from a 98/99 ish Kona U’Hu with 100mm Bomber Z1’s to a Boardman Pro Fs with 130mm revelations. The late 90’s geometry to 2015 geometry was a huge change and it felt difficult to get the bike turned on tight corners for ages.

Now I’m on a bike with 29er wheels and a 63.6 degree headangle and I’m whipping round corners no worries.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
I'll probably just keep my low end 26 inch bike and just abandon getting a new fork. I'm more into long travel bikes and there are more that are 27.5, so that's probably what I'll go with.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
downhilljohn wrote:
I find it cruel to not make good 26 inch bikes anymore... Anyone know why they don't make good 26 in bikes anymore? other than slopestylesMadder

Because these are companies that sell things to make money and employ people. Nobody is being cruel, they are making the thingies that people are buying. If you think a company can make money by selling "good 26 inch bikes", you should start a company and laugh as all the money comes pouring in.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 17:29 Quote
What cruelty...there are tons of good deals on 26ers on buy sell board and ebay...going from 26er to a 27.5 full squish last year was a dream come true...cant believe i waited so long.

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 19:34 Quote
I mean, a 27.5 can fit in a 26 chassis Jailbreak

Posted: Apr 23, 2022 at 6:05 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:
Because 29er are faster and things move on. I’m 5’9 (so not tall) and I don’t have any issue with my 29er I’ve had 3 months. I was worried about going from 27.5 to 29er that I’d be buzzing myself on the rear wheel / it was going to be difficult to get round corner / it would be less fun but that’s not the case at all.

I’m not even on a short travel / particularly agile 29er either - on a 2022 Transition Sentinel alloy weighing about 34lbs and built up with lyriks / codes etc.

I wouldn’t move 26er to 27.5 now - you’ll end up disappointed in supply of parts for that in a few years time potentially as the move is to 29er / mullet.

I reckon a mullet bike could be a good option for you to look at - 29er front / 27.5 to get a touch more rear manoeuvrability. Something like a Specialized Status 140 looks a great allrounder.

You’ve pretty much described how all my mates have summed up moving over to 29ers.
Internet says 29ers are barges so they all go 27.5. Eventually they’ve moved onto new 29ers after 5 to 10 years on a 27.5 and declare them the best bikes they’ve owned.

My observations. Early 29ers basically had the same geo as existing 26 XC bikes. What they did coincide with was the trend to significantly wider bars around 780 to 800mm which feel very unwieldy initially after riding 740mm bars.
I swapped the cockpit from my 26er onto the 29er and found it was just better everywhere once I got used to it.

Fast forward 12 years and my current 29er is hands down the most fun, capable and agile mountain bike I’ve owned BUT the radical geometry change if going from an old to new bike takes a significant amount of time ( a year or possibly more) to fully adapt your riding technique to so can feel alien to start off with. I’ve still got my last 26er sat in the garage as a spare bike and it’s a nice nostalgia trip to ride it but that’s about it but I can say the same about my first 29er, as I’ve still got that too.

Personally I reckon the latest geometry suits 29ers more than any other wheel size so they are now better than ever.

Posted: Apr 23, 2022 at 12:25 Quote
New banshee bikes that come in 27.5 with the long dropouts can fit a 26 inch with the short dropouts. My rune v3 with the long dropouts I have I run a 27.5x2.6 with the short dropouts it will run a 26x2.5. If you put a 180mm totem or similar you could have a new bike with modern geo and 26inch wheels. You just have to get creative a bit

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 17:37 Quote
A lot of the new bikes I'm looking at are only 27.5 because they're freeride machines with long travel like the Commencal Clash, Transition Spire, and Norco Shore, but these are some good opinions on 29ers.

Posted: Apr 25, 2022 at 20:14 Quote
mior wrote:
nicolai would probably cook something up for you. 26 ISNT DEAD

Every time someone says 26 isn't dead, I think of the classic Monty Python skit with the dead parrot (trade the bird for a 26er).

https://youtu.be/vZw35VUBdzo

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007828
Mobile Version of Website