26 in Cruelty

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 14:04 Quote
When I think of 20 inch wheels I think of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TxGhwMADUw
I hope he didn't dent his head without a helmetBig Grin

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 14:07 Quote
I think I might try making my 26 inch bike a mullet by putting a 27.5 in the front. I'm not sure if the geometry will be messed up a ton, but hopefully it will be worth it.

Posted: Apr 27, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
Careful, you might like it.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 6:50 Quote
You can just put your 26" wheel in a 27.5 fork. 27.5 forks are only a little longer, the switch from 20mm hub to 15mm came around the same time as 275 unfortunately.

Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 22:12 Quote
26 inch isn't so bad as you can see in my youtube channel MTB Everything

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 0:37 Quote
29 is faster......
BullShit
there's plenty of riders at my local park on big, huge super slacked out 29ers with huge tyres... I blow them away on my little 262 play bike with 2.1 - 2.3 tyres

It's the rider that's fast not the bike

And, go watch some Super X BMX.... 20" wheels an they'll destroy anyone on a wagon wheeler

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 3:33 Quote
I don’t recall seeing any 20”, 24”, 26” or even now any 27.5” bikes in any competitive cross country races lately. 29er have come a long way in the last 10 years. Depends on what you are doing and want.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
Its not hard to do a work around if you have a 26 er frame,
you can fit 27.5 forks on or go 2nd hand market for good 26 forks,
I've been using 2010 Fox 36 VAN R 180 for the past 5 yrs, picked up a 2nd
Fox 36 VAN for good price, with older forks I find sticking with something
reliable and simple, as parts will be dicontinued as with the FIT RC2
models, I find the open bath dampers avoid such issues or at least prolong
servicable life.

Some forks you can switch modern internals into older forks, pick up used
spares and play with options.

Theres a huge after market of used stuff, this is where you can keep your 26er alive
for ages yet, and as said 27.5 forks will work in most cases and you can still buy new
26 rims and go custom wheel build, and the likes of components most cross over regardless
of wheel size.

Keep costs low do it yourself, dont know, internet, learn it enjoy the process.

Things are only limited by a limited approach.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
naptime wrote:
29 is faster......
BullShit
there's plenty of riders at my local park on big, huge super slacked out 29ers with huge tyres... I blow them away on my little 262 play bike with 2.1 - 2.3 tyres

It's the rider that's fast not the bike

And, go watch some Super X BMX.... 20" wheels an they'll destroy anyone on a wagon wheeler

You'd likely beat those guys by a larger margin on a 29er. (Possibly not, as everyone has a different skillset, of course.)
When I moved from a 26" to a 27.5" bike, I IMMEDIATELY went faster.

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 22:04 Quote
Genuine question....
You obviously got a new more modern bike...
Can you honestly say the more modern bike with updated geo, suss an parts was faster or the wheel size?

I've ridden all the sizes apart from 27/29 mullet and, apart the bigger wheels feeling worse in the air and tight tech single track. I can honestly say I didn't feel ANY benefits like speed, rollover or grip....

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 3:19 Quote
I converted 2 x 26” bikes with old geometry years ago to 27.5” and everything performed better in every way including speed. One bike was a Mosso Scandium hard tail with 100mm travel fork and the other was a 2005 Santa Cruz Heckler with 140mm travel front and rear. I didn’t need to short the rear shock. Both forks were X-Fusion which could accommodate both 27.5 or 26”. Best thing I ever did converting those. Got my concept inquiry published in Mountain Bike Action Magazine. Sold those bikes and now have a longer travel 27.5 and a couple 29er. The 26” I have is a dirt jumper.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:13 Quote
naptime wrote:
Genuine question....
Can you honestly say the more modern bike with updated geo, suss an parts was faster or the wheel size?

I've ridden all the sizes apart from 27/29 mullet and, apart the bigger wheels feeling worse in the air and tight tech single track. I can honestly say I didn't feel ANY benefits like speed, rollover or grip....

Don't take this the wrong way but you must be a VERY beginner rider if you can't notice the difference from and 26 to 29 when it comes to roll over benefits. a 29er is drastically better rolling over rough terrain. Its literally night and day difference. Even going from 27.5 to 29 is better when it comes to roll over.

I had an old cannondale flash 29er that had old XC geo and it still blew anything 26 out of the water.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:23 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
naptime wrote:
Genuine question....

Don't take this the wrong way but you must be a VERY beginner rider if you can't notice the difference from and 26 to 29 when it comes to roll over benefits. a 29er is drastically better rolling over rough terrain. Its literally night and day difference. Even going from 27.5 to 29 is better when it comes to roll over.

Yeah you're right I've only been riding bikes about 40 years......

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
Naptime: it is simple physics. Perhaps it is the time to visit the alps and compare 29 to 26 there..

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.032848
Mobile Version of Website