"Cassette zip tie mod" "Ebike magic cranks" Who has tried it?

PB Forum :: eMTB
"Cassette zip tie mod" "Ebike magic cranks" Who has tried it?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Apr 16, 2022 at 20:39 Quote
After reading an article about Intend BC's new magic cranks I thought shoot I think I can do this to my Kenevo with no modifications aside from a zip tie.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-intend-rocksteady-magic-cranks-let-you-shift-while-coasting.html

My new X1 trigger shifter had just arrived for proper unrestricted downshifts so I installed it along with the zip tie then I went for a spin around the neighborhood.

I would consider the shifting experience revolutionary beyond any incremental derailleur tech that has popped up in 20 years of mountain biking and it's the cheapest easiest modification I have ever done to a bike.

So far I've concluded that the propensity of damaging the derailleur has increased exponentially in the event of the chain popping off or something jamming the drivetrain which I've attempted to mitigate by cutting a relief in the zip tie. With the cheap NX derailleur still installed it's a risk I'm willing to take for the increased performance. I'm thinking that drivetrain wear will actually be reduced for me personally by almost eliminating shifts under any torque unless there is some catastrophic event.

I am however concerned about damaging the motor in some unforeseen way and I haven't tried it on the trails yet.

I can't find a discussion of this anywhere.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Perhaps lubricating the external O-Ring at the crank-motor interface would mitigate any damage or increased wear?

Bonus pic of my custom 190mm Kenevo for fun.
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 17, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
Very neat idea!

I don't think that you'll damage anything short term, but my guess is that the additional wear and tear on the sprag clutch would be a concern long term. Not sure if that's something that you'll be able to source, or if the whole motor assembly would have to be replaced if the sprag clutch does wear out. Sprag clutches have been used in motorcycles for years (possibly planes too), so assuming that you can get the bearing, a decent motorcycle mechanic or a machine shop should be able to replace it.

I doubt that lubing the seal would make much of a difference.

O+
Posted: Apr 18, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
I'm interested to see your results long term. I love my Rohloff, same thing, shift while coasting.

That said, anything device or mechanical system that uses a zip tie as an "engineered solution" isn't going near my bike. Wink

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008649
Mobile Version of Website