Looking for "The One"

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 13:19 Quote
Background: I've doing van life full time for about 9 months now. My girlfriend and I have enough storage for one bike each which limits my ability to have a multiple bike quiver to enjoy on the road. I enjoy a wide variety of riding from trail riding, enduro, xc, to some laps through the bike park. I'm 6'3" and 150lbs so, I'm pretty set on 29ers and don't feel like I need a ton of travel to get down most trails. I've been trying to decide for a while now on a bike to upgrade from my Yeti SB5.5. It's such a versatile geometry that leads to great handling on more mellow and technical trails while still packing a punch for outright descents. I'm definitely extremely content with the manner in which it climbs as well.

My big issue with the bike is that there's no room in the frame to put a frame bag. I've been getting more into bikepacking and am hoping to do the CO Trail in the next year or two. I'm hoping to find that ever elusive, quiver killer bike, that will take me from my bikepack journeys to the bikepark. Some bikes I've been considering are the Pivot Switchblade, Yeti SB130, Ibis Ripmo, Transition Sentinel, and Revel Rascal. My big struggle is deciding on what the best all around geometry is going to be. I've heard of people using the Sentinel for bikepacking and loving it as a daily driver which is insane for me to wrap my head around due to the ultra modern geometry.

I've been thinking of having two rear shocks: a shorter stroke dps for bikepacking and more xc trails and a longer stroke X2 for the bigger stuff with. The Switchblade has been standing out to me at the moment because of the more moderate geometry that also has some adjustability via flip chip or headset spacer. I just am not certain if I'm just afraid of change and maybe something with more modern geo would be a better fit? I was looking to get some opinions before pulling the trigger on anything and to see if anyone in a similar boat has found an effective solution. Thanks in advance!

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 13:56 Quote
we are one is coming out with links for the arrival. 130mm, 150mm, 170mm will be available.

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 21:00 Quote
The arrival is a sick bike! And made on this continent is hard to find anymore. In the same ballpark is the Alchemy Arktos that has the swappable links too. I just feel like swapping a whole link before riding is a much bigger commitment to just swapping out a shock. I like knowing that We Are One is producing those as an option because their frame looks like it has a lot more frame bag storage room vs the arktos

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 22:35 Quote
Same situation as you, went on the road full time last fall and only have room for one bike. Took my Specialized Enduro but it was just overkill so was trying to find a perfect all rounder. Tried some of same bikes you listed and was pretty set on a Sentinel but couldn't find one. Ended up with an Orbea Rallon recently and exactly what I'm looking for.

On paper it's an enduro sled but on dirt it's really a long legged trail bike. It's light, playful, nimble, climbs very, very well and can handle big stuff. Currently running air shock but probably pick up a coil for park riding this summer. I'm frankly blown away at how good this bike is. Would have no issues doing all day epics on it. The Enduro would have been painful lol.

My wife has a Ripmo V2, she loves it. She came from a Tallboy, the Ripmo gives up nothing on easier rides and handles the chunkier stuff far better.

Having one bike is a bit foreign to us but feel we've got the right ones now for a single quiver. Good luck in your quest!

Posted: May 3, 2022 at 23:59 Quote
After a lot of research, I built up a Revel Rascal as my all rounder. To date, I can say that I feel I made the right decision. The bike climbs like a goat, and descends well above its 140/130 travel expectations. In my opinion, it is an amazing bike that would be hard to beat for your criteria.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 18:06 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
Hi.

This search is over folks, lets pack up and head home.

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 18:16 Quote
I thought Jet Li was "the one"....

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
We’ve found him everyone. Threads over lmao. I thought it was Neo?

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 20:14 Quote
Revel rascal has been on my watchlist. Only this is I’ve read that they don’t recommend tossing a 150mm fork on it? 140mm up front has been my hesitation with it

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 21:18 Quote
Love my Izzo. Current models seem like a great spec for the price.

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 22:12 Quote
You can absolutely do a 150mm fork. My buddy went 150 on his Rascal with zero issue, and Revel will support it in warranty.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 10:44 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
Hi.

Hey.

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
Ripmo v2 with some lower rolling resistance tires. Geo is modern without being absurd. Can handle nearly any downhill, and the DW link suspension makes for an incredible climber. IF you need a little more, you can always lock out the rear, but it doesn’t need it.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 2:33 Quote
Switch to a high pivot. Lots of room for a frame bag in a non comprised all mountain bike.

https://www.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-gx-complete

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006444
Mobile Version of Website