Bontrager fork crown

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Bontrager fork crown
  • Previous Page
Posted: May 3, 2022 at 22:27 Quote
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a bontrager fork crown for a set of mag 21 forks. Any and all help would be appreciated....thanks

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 11:33 Quote
You'll want to be more specific. What steer size, length, threadless/threaded...

Just went through the same search for a Manitou crown/steerer.

Posted: May 5, 2022 at 23:18 Quote
A bontrager fork crown has a 1" steer tube approx 6" long and is threaded. It also has four pinch bolts positioned in the front of the crown to accommodate 27mm stanchions such as the ones on mag 21 rock shock forks plus on bontrager emblem on the front...if I could post a pic I would.....thanks for the reply.
There was also a bontrager version for switchblade Ridgid forks which look similar but are different

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 7:49 Quote
Would a Tange switchblade crown work?

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 10:20 Quote
I'm assuming no because I assumed the stanchion bores for a switchblade fork are a smaller diameter than ones for a mag21 fork. I'm no expert but I think I read that some where so I could be wrong. Do you have bontrager fork crown for a set of switchblade forks? If so I guess the best way would to be measure inside diameter of stanchion bores and find the center to center measurement of bores. Thanks, Rob

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
I don't have measurements but in my hunt for a Manitou steerer I had some people send me pics of what they had. Only reason I mentioned the Tange crowns is they look very similar to the Bonty's
photo
photo

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 12:08 Quote
Wow! That's a collection of crowns....did that individual have any of those for sale? Did you end up finding what you need? The switchblade crown do resemble the bontranger crown but I think there may be some differences that may hinder my application....

Posted: May 6, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
Yes I ended up tracking my crown steerer down finally. Took a bit of hunting.

I think Bontrager licensed his switchblade design to Tange, hence the similarities but I don't know if they used the same dimensions exactly.

Yes a collector on the facebook "Classic MTB Trading Center" sent me those pics when he was rummaging around for a manitou 1-1/4" threaded steerer. All for sale as far as I know. Another guy on ebay "retrobicyclesupply" sourced the crown for me finally. Both guys are named Dave, apparently Dave's like crowns.

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 8:48 Quote
Thanks eshew....I just started to reply to you and right off the bat spell check butts in and changes your username spelling to Esther(remember Sanford and son?). Now I have to dance with the devil, aka Facebook to follow up with the endities you provided. I"ll let you know how this plays out. What are/were you putting together with the fork crown you needed? Thanks for the help, Rob

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
Lol gotta love auto correct! The Manitou crown is for one off yeti pro fro anywhere from 94-99. It was built by a frame welder at yeti for his personal ride. He used a barracuda tear drop shaped down tube, everything else is 94ish... But it has no serial. There were rumors that when YetiSchwinn closed their Durango facility in 1999 75 pro fro frames were built up from a bunch of tubing they found while cleaning everything out, this could also be one of those...
Anyway, I'm going with 94, as there was a team rear derailleur with 94 etched serial. Dont like the mag 21 so switching to a Manitou 3. The frame is black with blue cable guides, so hoping it'll look nice.

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
Are you okay with private messaging each other?

Posted: May 7, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
I'd really like to see a pic of your bike and share pics of my addiction (lunacy)....I guess there's worse things to spending money on

Posted: May 8, 2022 at 10:55 Quote
Yep fine by me! But it's your thread might as well post em up here.

IF you click on this photo and click on the arrow to the right it'll cycle through a few pics of what I have/had over the years.

photo

Posted: Jun 8, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
BengtAberg wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a bontrager fork crown for a set of mag 21 forks. Any and all help would be appreciated....thanks

You ever find what you were looking for? Something like this:

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 10, 2022 at 0:52 Quote
That's the crown alright....is it for one of your builds?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012150
Mobile Version of Website