YT Capra Shred "Recall"

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
YT Capra Shred "Recall"
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 4, 2022 at 9:27 Quote
So I received an email from YT regarding an issue with my Capra:

bigquotesWe take the quality and safety of our products very seriously. We are therefore writing to you in coordination with FOX Factory Inc. to bring the following voluntary market measure to your attention.

The reason for this action is the combination of the components, more specifically our YT CAPRA SHRED 2020/21 with the FOX DHX2 Performance Elite (2021) coil shock. In some rare cases, this combination has recently resulted in a failure of the shock because side and torsional forces introduced unfavorably by the rear triangle of the frame cannot be sufficiently absorbed in the long run. As a result, the piston rod of the shock can come loose or even break. In the worst case, this can lead to instability and a fall. Moderately severe injuries such as dislocations, bruises or fractures are conceivable.

We would like to emphasize that only the above-mentioned combination of components can lead to potential safety risks.

We cannot rule out the possibility that your shock is already damaged without you noticing. We therefore advise against using your CAPRA SHRED 2020/21 in the meantime.

Your safety is our top priority. Therefore, we would like to exchange your “FOX DHX2 Performance Elite (2021)” shock as soon as possible for a new "FOX Float X2 Performance Elite”.

In the interest of your safety and the safety of others, please do not
• try to repair the existing FOX DHX2 Performance Elite in your bike, or
• sell or use the existing FOX DHX2 Performance Elite after replacement.

Now we would like to offer you the following exchange process:

Send us your current address and the serial number of your current shock and we will send you the “FOX Float X2 Performance Elite” including all necessary spare parts. Using your original YT tool set and a video tutorial, which we will provide you with, you can simply replace the shock yourself, making the process fast and simple.

If you are unsure and would rather have a local bike store carry out the replacement, we will gladly cover the replacement costs up to a maximum amount of 25 USD / 25 EUR / 20 GBP.

Once you have replaced the shock, please send the dismantled shock back, using the reusable box and the return label provided. If you use a bike shop, please send the receipt of the shock replacement as described below to our customer service department for a refund.

I bought this bike as a park bike with coil. Since then, I've also purchased a Fox SLS spring, Reverse Components SAG indicator, and other stuff specifically for the coil. Now they're saying it's not coil compatible and to replace with an air shock. I appreciate they're doing this, but I kinda feel like I'm getting a bit screwed here. I'm not really sure what I expect, but some compensation for the issue and my lost investment seems like reasonable customer service. Am I being unreasonable?

EDIT: Added more of the email for clarity

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
They sold a bike that doesn't work as built? Ask for a refund and return the bike.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 12:45 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
They sold a bike that doesn't work as built? Ask for a refund and return the bike.

Yeah, I mean, that's basically how I feel. I reached out to them and their response was basically "Sorry, this is all we're doing". I've also had the bike for like a year and a half before this happened, so a full return while I got a bunch of use out of it may be excessive in their eyes. But like, offer me something? A discount on another bike, hell, even a free T-shirt?Anything would be a nice step in admitting this is their screw up.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 13:35 Quote
The problem is not that its not coil compatible, the problem is the DHX2 doesn't like too much side load. It also affects other brands.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

You can still run other coil shocks on the frame, just not a DHX2.

Posted: May 4, 2022 at 15:45 Quote
the-one1 wrote:
The problem is not that its not coil compatible, the problem is the DHX2 doesn't like too much side load. It also affects other brands.

https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

You can still run other coil shocks on the frame, just not a DHX2.

I mean, their email mentions the side loads, but doesn’t reference this Fox article and my shock isn’t strut mounted but is attached to the rear triangle, so not sure this applies. But if it was purchased with a coil and I want to keep a coil on it, wouldn’t it be good customer service to offer another brand?

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
I would check if you can find shock mounting hardware with spherical plain bearings on both sides. If it works with the dimensions this would probably drastically reduce side load, wouldn't it?

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 6:05 Quote
Just got my replacement air shock, along with the box to returne the old DHX2 coil shock.

I'm a little dissapointed because I bought the bike because it came as a package with coil shock. So now I'm stuck with 17 kg enduro bike with air shock..

What would happen if I do not return them the old shock?

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 12:41 Quote
It's theft, so you'd be a dick. They would probably send you a bill and eventually send you to collections.
Over the last 6 years or so lots of yoke driven shocked bikes came out. They are hard on shocks, the Kona process bikes are known to eat through shocks especially the rs monarch. Not enough bushing support leading to faster wear. Coil shocks with their small shafts are under even more stress, guessing that's the reason for the failures.

Guessing we'll either have to see sturdier coil shocks with larger pistons, but fox did this and the results were more stiction and less sensitivity with their 1/2" piston RC4. They went back to the smaller shaft, after a bit.

Yoke driven bikes might become less common, which sucks because they do ride great, at the expense of shock life

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 15:26 Quote
Many other coil shocks out there that will put up with the abuse of FSR/yoke designs, fox shocks are shoddy at the best, the float x2 is great untill it blows up, The longest running fox shock ive had is the new float X but they do knock...

my 2 new 36's both knocked aswell. Terriable QC for a premium price.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006798
Mobile Version of Website