2021 SID Select Damper adjustment not working?

PB Forum :: SRAM
2021 SID Select Damper adjustment not working?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2022 at 14:27 Quote
I installed a 2021 SID Select 35 fork 120 mm on my Giant Anthem Advanced last year and there is something wrong with the damper and/or the adjustment. This fork has the Charger RL damper as opposed to the Charger 2 RL on the Select+ or the Raceday Damper found on the Ultimate.

It feels like there is ZERO difference to the forks feel and performance (damping) between settings 1 to 5 on the external adjustment knob and at the last setting, or position 6, there is a sort of firm lockout. This 6th setting does not feel like a pedal platform, it feels totally firm to pedaling, but has no bump sensitivity at all. If you hit something hard enough, it does go into it's travel, but again, it's too firm to be used as a pedal platform. I generally only use this setting when on the road, and even then, it has to be a road without bumps, otherwise the fork rides like hell.

As is this fork works ok on the trail and I do like the rigidity of the 35 mm stanchions, and I do NOT notice bushing play yet, however; the compression damping feels minimal, and certainly is only adjustable between a firm lockout at the 6th position and all the same fully open feeling from positions 1 through 5. And that being said, the fully open settings from 1 to 5 feels in-adequately damped, especially for climbing. There is some damping, it's not a complete pogo stick, but certainly too springy and not how I would think you would want to ride. I have emailed SRAM and await a reply.

Anybody else have this issue with their Sid Select fork?

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
Update. Emailing with SRAM they asked for the serial number and asked if the rebound adjustment works. I tried the rebound setting on various clicks between 0 and 25 or 26 or so. I think it made a difference but now the fork is acting even stranger still. I feel the compression damping was affected and won't change back, and also, now the right fork leg makes a popping sound. If I touch the compression adjuster, I can feel it was forced up under pressure. There is definitely something wrong with this fork so I am not going to use it until I have it serviced. Should have looked into this 6+ months ago when I first thought I noticed something.

Posted: Jul 21, 2022 at 21:54 Quote
Did you get the issue resolved?
There should be a little O-ring around the hexagonal part of the damper that the compression adjuster screws into.
It seems like A LOT of forks were missing this O-ring from factory which allows the damper to move up and down too much. This is what causes the popping/knocking sound and you can feel it moving.
Who knows if this causes more damage/loosening of things inside the damper leg - should definitely be a warranty issue.

Posted: Sep 23, 2022 at 12:11 Quote
I sent it back to Rock Shox and they said they checked it out. I can't recall if the fork still makes that popping sound but the damping seemed similar to when I sent it away. I am going to sell the fork but may send it back again to Rock Shox to make sure I have the issue resolved. I haven't found any other bikes with this fork so I can compare. Maybe the damping change isn't as noticable as I think it should be. All other aspects of the fork are great and given that the Select Ultimate fork has no intermediate adjustment of damping with its newer damper it is a curiosity of mine.

Are you familiar with the damper of this fork? Should there be a noticable difference between the 5 or so non-locked out lever positions?

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
I revisited the bike shop that sent the fork back to Rock Shox for me, the same shop where I originally bought the fork. They tried it out at the various settings and said the fork is working fine. I also visited 6 bicycle stores a few days ago and I could only find one shop with a SID Select fork, although I found many other Rock Shox with what looked like a charger damper with the 5 or 6 clicks of adjustment. They all seemed to work the same as mine so I guess that's the way it works. My fork no longer makes the popping sound and the damping does seem a bit firmer overall. I guess I could have just tried the fork once I got it back but anyways, I came across a different fork and have this fork up for sale now.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008018
Mobile Version of Website