2009 Specialized Tarmac for $50.00 - good deal?

PB Forum :: Beginners
2009 Specialized Tarmac for $50.00 - good deal?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2022 at 19:27 Quote
Someone in my neighborhood was recently getting rid of a 2009 Specialized Tarmac for $50.00. I don't know much of anything about road bikes but I know Specialized is a pretty decent bike brand, and I also know that carbon fiber bikes can be quite expensive new. Anyways... I decided to buy the bike.

My questions are - (1) what do you think the true value of this bike is? / Did I do well picking this thing up for $50.00? (2) Is this large framed road bike too big of a bike for someone my size (5'8") to ride comfortably? (I took it for a spin and, maybe its just the fact that its a road bike and you have to lean over to ride it, but I felt like it was pretty uncomfortable. (Note - this is coming from someone who has only ridden bmx / mountain bikes). I tried lowering the seat all the way down, and it looks like it has some additional room to go down some but it was getting difficult to get it any lower. (3) Is there a trick to getting the seat lower on a road bike?

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Mod
Posted: May 10, 2022 at 19:58 Quote
Thats an amazing deal, albeit if its not cracked or compromised. inspect it for cracks in a darker room or garage using a flashlight. 2, road bikes are optimised for aerodynamics and performance, not comfort. RIP your taint. go to your local bike shop that has a saddle measuring machine and get a bike fit, if you care that much
3, the seatpost has a sort of taper into an ovular shape, and that prevents it from getting any lower. if you have it all the way in your frame anyway, go ahead and get a really cheap straight seatpost off of amazon

Salute

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 20:55 Quote
I was surprised at the price too. I thought the listing was missing a zero ($50 instead of $500), but I asked if anything was wrong with the bike and the seller said no. I still will take your advice and inspect it thoroughly, however.

The guy selling it had 3-4 other nice bikes. I think he was just getting rid of it (along with other things) to clean out some room in his garage for a home gym.

I think I’m going to have a go at riding this thing for a while. For my personal knowledge, however, I’m curious— if I were to turn around and sell it on ebay or on pink bike, how much do you think I could get for it (assuming no frame cracks, compromise issues)?

Thanks for your comments!

Mod
Posted: May 11, 2022 at 6:17 Quote
cluelessbeginner wrote:
I was surprised at the price too. I thought the listing was missing a zero ($50 instead of $500), but I asked if anything was wrong with the bike and the seller said no. I still will take your advice and inspect it thoroughly, however.

The guy selling it had 3-4 other nice bikes. I think he was just getting rid of it (along with other things) to clean out some room in his garage for a home gym.

I think I’m going to have a go at riding this thing for a while. For my personal knowledge, however, I’m curious— if I were to turn around and sell it on ebay or on pink bike, how much do you think I could get for it (assuming no frame cracks, compromise issues)?

Thanks for your comments!

200? its a bit older, but it might become a classic. what is the year and the full name?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011532
Mobile Version of Website