Fox 38 stuck down airspring (brand new)

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
Fox 38 stuck down airspring (brand new)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 13, 2022 at 10:38 Quote
Aired down my brand new 38 to access volume spacers and it immediately sucked down into full compression. Removed the lowers and the airspring (took some serious hunker to yank it out). Airspring is fully sucked down (shaft pulled all the way up).

Any ideas??

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 18:18 Quote
You have any pics of it? Is the air spring out of the fork?

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 0:55 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
You have any pics of it? Is the air spring out of the fork?

It’s out of the fork. I replaced it with a new one. No pics but the shaft is fully compressed up into the airspring

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 6:16 Quote
Without seeing pics it’s tricky to say for sure. But I think it is normal. As long as the retaining clip on the air spring is properly seated then reinstall the lowers and add air. It should come back. You can add a small amount of air to the spring before reinstalling the lowers to make it easier to screw the bolts on.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 8:36 Quote
sounds like you released all the air at once? Doing that is bad. You got to let out a small amount of air at a time, then stop, and cycle the air from the positive to negative chamber. If you dont cycle the air between chamber then it sucks down on the negative side like a vise.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
CSdirt wrote:
sounds like you released all the air at once? Doing that is bad. You got to let out a small amount of air at a time, then stop, and cycle the air from the positive to negative chamber. If you dont cycle the air between chamber then it sucks down on the negative side like a vise.

Yup. I now let the air out ever so slowly with the button on my shock pump rather than quick with a hex key. I seem to learn everything the hard way. This lesson cost $140 US Smile . I suppose I could try to salvage it but it would require tearing down my fork again so I’ll pass for now. Lesson learned - don’t let the air out fast and definitely don’t use the equalization buttons with the fork aired down.

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 17:17 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
CSdirt wrote:

Yup. I now let the air out ever so slowly with the button on my shock pump rather than quick with a hex key. I seem to learn everything the hard way. This lesson cost $140 US Smile . I suppose I could try to salvage it but it would require tearing down my fork again so I’ll pass for now. Lesson learned - don’t let the air out fast and definitely don’t use the equalization buttons with the fork aired down.

What did you have to spend the money on?

Posted: May 25, 2022 at 22:09 Quote
kiranseligman wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
CSdirt wrote:

What did you have to spend the money on?

A new air spring. I’m sure I could’ve eventually prevailed on either the DIY fix or warranty fronts but for $140 the problem is solved and I get to spend that time riding or with the fam. Choose your battles lol

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005590
Mobile Version of Website