New low spec vs old high spec

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New low spec vs old high spec
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2022 at 8:55 Quote
Been a while since I have been into biking, but looking to get back into it. Coming from a DH back ground and looking to get into a trail bike around 140-150mm of travel.

Narrowed it down to a new low spec meta 29tr origins or ride. The other option being a used transition patrol 2017-2019 aluminum or carbon with pretty ok spec.

That’s everyone opinion on used higher end or new eatery level.

I am an intermittent rider just looking to get back into it and not to have to buy a new bike again next year.

Thanks for the reply’s

Posted: May 14, 2022 at 9:13 Quote
New bikes are so expensive, I would go with used high end if you have decent mechanic abilities.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
Looking at the component spec on those Commencal's, I'd lean towards used.

Having a DH background, you're likely to exceed the capability of those forks pretty soon. That's a pricey upgrade. Same thing with the brakes and the derailleur.

Now if you want to be back riding ASAP and the new bike is in stock, then buy new. In normal times it takes a couple weeks to find a well-spec'd, well-maintained used bike and these haven't been normal times. But maybe some rash COVID purchases will start showing up in classifieds?

This would be easier to answer with a little more detail. Do you have specific listings for the used bikes? You're "looking to get back into it"...how long were you out? Was it 2-3 years while work got in the way? Or 20 years and you've since picked up kids, houses, significant others? Were you doing other activities in the meantime (BMX, skating, snowboarding)? Or digging deep into the Netflix back catalog?

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 16:56 Quote
Hey everyone thanks for the reply’s I end up with a nicely spec transition patrol for the right price.

Appreciate all the input super stoked to be back on a bike!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005490
Mobile Version of Website