Thoughts on having a good bike but not being fast

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thoughts on having a good bike but not being fast
Previous Page |
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
I race enduros, and I have a nice enduro specific bike, along with a trail bike, but I’m not overly fast. I feel like a bum for having such a nice bike but not coming out on the podium, or really even that close, usually placing in the middle of my class. What does everyone think when they see this? Always feel like I’m being secretly judged.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
People will always secretly judge because people suck, don't let that get in the way of enjoying the ride. Podium or bottom of your class, are you having fun?

I think for a lot of long timers there's going to be something at least a little funny about all the gear and no idea, but from the sounds of it that's not you.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
If you don’t talk to people I guarantee that nobody knows who you are or cares that you’re not great. If people don’t know you as more than a face they won’t know or care how you place.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
BraydenJohnson wrote:
I race enduros, and I have a nice enduro specific bike, along with a trail bike, but I’m not overly fast. I feel like a bum for having such a nice bike but not coming out on the podium, or really even that close, usually placing in the middle of my class. What does everyone think when they see this? Always feel like I’m being secretly judged.

I think its 100% fine. If you have a sick bike, be proud. Don't judge other ppl on their bikes. Lets see a pic of yours!

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
Mid class isn't even bad. And if you really want to go faster try a coach. You'd be surprised. Really.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
If you're midpack I guarantee there are riders below you with just as nice of bikes. Like noakeabean said, be proud but stay humble towards riders with less expensive bikes.
Besides is the goal is to become faster and progress, having a bike you can grow into skill wise is always a good thing.
Ride it and enjoy it, block out the thoughts of what other people think..30 seconds after they see you they will probably forget all about you and your bike anyway.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 11:35 Quote
Midpack is good. I aim for midpack or higher. Just don't DNF

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
what bike do you have?

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 13:09 Quote
Most people don't think much of anything about it as long as you aren't a jerk. If you're a jerk people will use your gear as an excuse to judge you. I think when people have all matching outfits like they're sponsored people may snicker.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 14:01 Quote
fourfourone wrote:
what bike do you have?
Kona process X

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
I'm an absolutely trash rider with a fairly flashy boutique bike. I plan on keeping the bike forever, but not being trash forever. So I bought a bike that would be capable for future me, and in the meantime it's not slowing present me down at all to have gear superior to my ability. I also don't think anyone's judging my choice, and if they are idgaf. Though those may be a reflection of being 41

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 16:25 Quote
“Other peoples opinions about you is none of your business” -Steve Harvey

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 16:33 Quote
Having "bling" parts and peacocking your bike doesn't necessarily mean it's setup right or it's the ideal bike for what your doing with it.

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 17:29 Quote
BraydenJohnson wrote:

I think you're over-thinking things. Pay more attention to yourself, and being a good steward of the sport to others, than what you think others may or may not think of you and ride on man...! Salute

...and if this is something you really can't live with I'll trade you my old Kona Stinky for your Process X. That way you will no longer be a mid-pack rider on a primo bike....and I'll happily be a back-of-the-pack rider on a pretty sweet ride. Beer

I'm keeping my pedals though. I like my pedals Blank Stare

Posted: May 16, 2022 at 17:38 Quote
BraydenJohnson wrote:

Ha! I've got a GX equipped SC Tallboy 3. It's also the oldest / cheapest bike of all of my riding buddies... but one owns a bike shop.

I'd love a newer / lighter bike. I'll ride it a handful of times, and it'll get dirty and dinged up, and we'll be all good.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006918
Mobile Version of Website