Thoughts on having a good bike but not being fast

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Thoughts on having a good bike but not being fast
O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 17:41 Quote
Doesn’t everyone else you ride with/around have a “blinged out” bike?

O+
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 19:05 Quote
BraydenJohnson wrote:
I race enduros, and I have a nice enduro specific bike, along with a trail bike, but I’m not overly fast. I feel like a bum for having such a nice bike but not coming out on the podium, or really even that close, usually placing in the middle of my class. What does everyone think when they see this? Always feel like I’m being secretly judged.

Having a nice bike – one that isn't holding you back – means that you can concentrate on your skills and not have to worry about whether the bike might be a problem. If you can afford it, you'll never regret buying a good bike!

Do you experience real judgement from other riders, or are you simply imagining it? If it's the latter, I think that's a feeling you're just going to have to learn to ignore. There are all kinds of people out there and most of them (and their opinions, real or imagined) are inconsequential.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 0:25 Quote
i most often ride to be one with the bike to have that zen moment of spin, flow and air; mentally it's not about anybody else on the trail but you.

do you have the perma-grin, then you chose wisely.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 1:23 Quote
BraydenJohnson wrote:
I race enduros, and I have a nice enduro specific bike, along with a trail bike, but I’m not overly fast. I feel like a bum for having such a nice bike but not coming out on the podium, or really even that close, usually placing in the middle of my class. What does everyone think when they see this? Always feel like I’m being secretly judged.

I look at it this way... If you see someone driving a 300k McLaren or Lambo do you judge them because they couldn't keep up with a race driver on the track?

If you have the spare cash why wouldn't you spend it on the sport you love? There are a lot worse ways to spend your money.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 7:43 Quote
Nobody who matters cares. Nobody who cares matters.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 8:41 Quote
As specified by the rule N° 181.12.A of mountain biking, I quote: "it is stricly forbidden to race an enduro mountain bike whose value is higher than 5000 USD if the owner of the said mountain bike does not finish any race in the first 50 places ".
As a result, I invoke the law of surprise (rule N° 358.8.C of mountain biking), forcing you to give me your bike Smile

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 9:15 Quote
if you have fun, you're doing it right. and fun does not depend on bike, podium, speed or what others think.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 9:18 Quote
This is all about having fun. I guarantee you that if the person making comments about someone else's bike had the money to upgrade, they would too. So, if a $10k bike is what gets you out for a leisure ride, then enjoy it!

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
It's better than having a 15k road bike and a skinsuit for riding around the block... you're doing it right.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 14:21 Quote
ScottyMac1984 wrote:
I look at it this way... If you see someone driving a 300k McLaren or Lambo do you judge them because they couldn't keep up with a race driver on the track?

Actually yes. Yes, I do.

But I say this as somebody with Fox Factory suspension and mediocre skills myself.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 14:29 Quote
The more riders I see at Duthie with sick bikes, and a full face, that can’t clear the small tabletops the better…for my f-Ed up ego!

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 14:40 Quote
If you have a nice bike but can't ride that well, be prepared for people to give you looks or be salty towards you. Just ignore them, they're just jealous. Make it a goal to get better though. Don't be judgy

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
Oh the reply is easy... "I just wanted to be sure it wasn't the bike holding me back" or you can just point off into the distance behind them and mention the E bike's and ride off while they are grumbling about having to earn the descents.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 15:17 Quote
It's not about the bike.

Although sometimes, it is, kind of, about the bike. Don't feel ashamed for riding the best machine you can afford. I'd get a much more expensive build on my next bike if I could afford one, even though I have no business entering an enduro.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009706
Mobile Version of Website