Motor Power Comparison

PB Forum :: eMTB
Motor Power Comparison
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 14:09 Quote
If one Mountain Bike is rated at 60 nm (peak performance) and the other is rated at 450 Watts (peak performance) which bike will get up a hill faster. (all other things being equal)?

O+
Posted: May 17, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
johnr9q wrote:
If one Mountain Bike is rated at 60 nm (peak performance) and the other is rated at 450 Watts (peak performance) which bike will get up a hill faster. (all other things being equal)?

Too many variables. I know you said all things being equal but they aren't.

Rider input, cadence response (torque sensor programming), and power settings (which are all different and change dynamically with make and model).

What directly are you comparing? Most of the looking I did on the inter web said there are a lot of 450w motors rated at 60Nm torque. So your comparison is likely similar.

Both of my bikes this year are 85Nm, and the Heckler I had before was lower at 70Nm. You can notice a difference, although 70Nm was fine, 85Nm is just much more power.

Posted: May 17, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
I agree with the above reply in that there are other variables aside from just specifications on paper.

I think how the motor feels is much more important but that's my personal preference. I like a motor to feel more natural when it engages vs those that have a noticeable engagement.

Opinions will differ but I find the Rocky Mountain Powerplays to not only have one of (or maybe the) highest power output but also a very natural feel when the motor engages. Following that Specialized and for Shimano and Bosch I have a difficult time distinguishing between them as they feel similar to me. The latter two require a bit of crank travel before the motor kicks in, while you tune it out over time/use its more pronounced than the RM and Spec.

Being in the correct gear also factors in and I tend to ride a bit smaller cog than most because I like to feel the torque more for technical climbing.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004978
Mobile Version of Website