Most nimble, agile, poppy trail/all mountain 29er

PB Forum :: 29ers
Most nimble, agile, poppy trail/all mountain 29er
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:44 Quote
What's an overall very fun/playful29er? It's a pretty big push toward 29er these days but 29ers I've ridden feel a bit cumbersome compared to 27.5 I've ridden. My trails here are also pretty twisty and tight in places. What would you consider for a capable 29er trail/all-mountain bike that is on the more nimble, agile and poppy side of the spectrum?

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
Narrower bars can help to speed up a 29r's steering. Nothing crazy but 10-15mm narrower helps a lot. 27.5 will still be King on the tight and twisties. 29 will give you more Straightline speed.

I miss my 27.5 when riding those types of trails.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 8:05 Quote
Ripmo may be on the higher end of nimble and maneuverable? or maybe a Ripley with a better front fork?

How does a mullet bike handle those tight n twisty trails?

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 7:09 Quote
The amount of travel will have something to do with the nimbleness. The head angle will, the chain stay length, and wheelbase.

Take Santa Cruz for example. You will get a poppier and more playful ride on the Blur than you will with the Nomad.

The Pivot Firebird has the geometry to make a more nimble bike than just about all others in its travel range. Check what the difference is between the Pivot and the more North Shore type huck-n-plow bikes of the same travel. Then you will understand what makes a good tight singletrack bike.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 14:23 Quote
For a bike suggestion. Over fork a Giant Trance 29. Ride it like it was a Reign. If you are on the division between sizes, go smaller. DH racers commonly choose a smaller bike, to be on top of it and able to shift your body weight further from the center. Thus a more “poppy” feeling.

Over forking has always been the answer to riding where we had long bomber descents and steep canyons to drop-in to. When you really get up to speed the slacked head angle makes sense. When you realize you are drop seat up on your pedals your tail is just swinging behind a fork you are leaning all your weight on connected to a front brake that has all the power. Bigger better forks for hard use. Pedal efficiency of a xc-ish bike. Learn to ride the rivet . It’s not like your hang out on the rivet for long. Ride normal.

XC and pedaling efficiencies is the factor when suggested sizing comes from factory or fit pros. Fun and close enough are subjective to the individual rider. As is intended use.

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 16:45 Quote
The Trance 29 suggestion is good, but if you hit bigger drops and jumps the Trance X 29 might be better for the extra travel.

I had a Trance 29 and was great fun, very agile and playful handling but as my riding progressed I found the short rear travel (130f/115r) to be a bit limiting and I was starting to worry about bottoming it out too often. For reference I'm about 105kg and was running 305psi (with max volume spacers) in the little DPS rear shock, if you're a lighter rider you might not have the same issue but if you often hit drops of 2 feet or more then you might be better off with the Trance X (150f/135r travel).

I have a Reign 29 now which is great (very similar geo and travel numbers to the Ripmo for comparison), but I think I would have been just as happy with a Trance X - only 10mm difference in travel but Trance more playful and poppy, and Reign more confident on steeper rougher stuff.

For sizing the Trance X and Reign 29 both have a big jump between M and L. I'm 5'10" and after carpark test rides of both sizes I went with the M for agility. Might not be relevant to you but worth keeping in mind if you are a similar height.

Posted: Jun 12, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
Look at Banshee bikes, either the Phantom or Prime depending if you want shorter or longer travel. I have a Pahntom v2 and ride tight/twisty trails on it all the time. It is very "poppy", feels like a big BMX bike on jumps.

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 22:10 Quote
Love my evil offering, very playful and I liove in steep canyon country so I love that it climbs like crazy and decends over rocky hard rock 4/4 roads and trails. Much better then my chiner 29er full suspension set uop with same gear

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006335
Mobile Version of Website