Worth $2700? worried about damage to lower triangle - 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Worth $2700? worried about damage to lower triangle - 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 20, 2022 at 18:47 Quote
I am buying a bike on ebay, without being able to see it in person.

This is something that I have never done, and probably it should stay this way.

Bike in question is a 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson.
I guess many would suggest to stay away from second hand carbon, especially if you cannot inspect it.
But given the relatively low price (it should be a Carbon S kit), I am tempted noneless.
Moreover, the owner is an old dude that doesn't look like rode this much.

Main issue: terrible paint job on the rear triangle, that seems to affect rear brake and main frame. Looks like someone spray painted the rear triangle without even removing it from the bike. Moreover, I wonder why they painted it in the first place. Probably to cover the deep scratch on the lower arm, left side. See pictures.

Now, the question is: is this worth 2.7k shipped, or should I steer away?

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:15 Quote
Not a chance in the world that I'd buy that thing.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:23 Quote
That bike may be okay if you are willing to get it sorted... nice rims.
Or see below, Wink

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3332377/

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 19:47 Quote
I dunno, that top picture with what looks like a gap on the left side bottom rear goes down toward that scrape/scratch/gouge.

Does the current owner have an explanation for the paint and that damage?

If it was my money I would pass unless you are prepared to buy/find a new rear triangle which may or may not be $$$ or a pain in the butt.

Nice bike but that paint job and the damage is sketchy for the money for my two cents.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 20:11 Quote
Suspicious as hell. You know this or you wouldn't have posed the question in the first place.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 23:30 Quote
I recently bought a 2019 bronson cc xo1 build in near mint condition without seeing it in person here on PB for not too much more. I would move on a be patient and keep looking.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 23:42 Quote
Views: 53    Faves: 0    Comments: 0

Here below a video of the crack
I think I will pass. I don't have time to look for a rear triangle replacement (although SC lifetime guarantee might have applied....before the pain job maybe)

I had the guy on the phone. He seems legit (although very naive about bikes). He traded a truck for this bike 1 year ago, and used the bike 3 times himself. All the mystery about the paint job lays with the original owner - that apparently did the crappy paint job. The current owner righteously defined the previous as 'an idiot' for that paint job.

I asked the guy to send me a video, where he would tap on the frame. The dude nicely did that, but this test is absolutely inconclusive. If anything, now I got a better prospective on that awful crack. I don't know how it developed, but it's clearly a crack.
Too bad. That was my hot dreams' bike. I see that the first two guys replying in thread here have a Bronson for sell - that's the way these bikes should be treated! ...but I don't want spend more than ~3k for now.

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 2:27 Quote
Daviderie wrote:
The current owner righteously defined the previous as 'an idiot' for that paint job.
lol Rolleyes

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011681
Mobile Version of Website