2022 Pivot Mach 6 vs 2020 Mach 5.5?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2022 Pivot Mach 6 vs 2020 Mach 5.5?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 21, 2022 at 1:43 Quote
So I've had my Mach 5.5 for around two seasons now, and I've done a fair bit of upgrading. I swapped out the FIT4 Fox 36 for a 2022 Grip2 Fox 36, and swapped out the DPX2 for a Fox X2, and other upgrades. However, the Mach 6 has caught my eye.....

I do quite a bit of trail riding around my local Colorado trails, but I do quite a bit of park days at Trestle Bike Park, as well as lots of fire road/enduro rides. So that begs the question, Mach 5.5 or Mach 6?

I love my Mach 5.5, it feels confident on most things but I would like a little more travel and a more slack rig overall. I like the Mach 6 because it seems like a great happy medium of what I ride, which is more biased towards downhill, but still a capable rig for a long day in the saddle for efficient, stable, technical climbing.

I also like the geometry of the Mach 6, although similar there seem to be some noticeable differences between it and the Mach 5.5. The Flip Chip is also a nice addition and the vertical shock orientation seems like a solid idea too. Since Pivot just did a redo of all their bikes moving them to a vertical shock design, it seems like that seems to be a better way to orientate it compared to the 2018 5.5 horizontal design, and all the previous shock designs.

But has anyone had any experiences testing the new 2021/22 Mach 6 and the 5.5, that could offer their opinion on the two? If not, I'm open to any opinions or considerations, I'm kinda torn between the two now!

Cheers,
Jeremy

Posted: May 21, 2022 at 9:01 Quote
Hey Jeremy,

Looking at specs on both, it certainly looks the the Mach 6 is geared more euro (seat tube angle went from 66.5 in 2020 and 2021 to 65.5 degrees in 2022) as well as some of the dimensions give it the burliness needed for the more charging DH rides (think they went from 140mm back travel to 153ish while keeping 160mm front travel and maintaining the 27.5 wheels.. Solid upgrades you mentioned however the mach 6 has a solid build as is. The Mach 6 has Fox 38 Grip 2 fork with a DHX2 coil shock on Pro and Team builds, Lightweight FOX 36 with Float X2 air shock and FOX Live Valve options and ride level Marzocchi Bomber Z1 Air and Bomber CR coil-over shock (Marzocchi is like an offshoot of Fox).

You've put the work into your 2020 and enjoyed it. I'm a Colorado rider as well - I find that the trails I do aren't too tight and corner-y - much more open, technical, dry charging lines. From what I am reading, it sounds like the Mach 6 may be a better fit for you if you're looking for an option that already has the specs you want/have and just want something a bit more enduro/DH driven with trail capability and don't mind doing the swap.

BK

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005015
Mobile Version of Website