How to save weight on an XC bike for cheep

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How to save weight on an XC bike for cheep
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 21, 2022 at 15:01 Quote
Hey everyone! I'm planning purchasing this bike soon.
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3205977/
In it's current form it weighs 26lbs, which isn't bad, but I'd love to make it lighter.
My question is. What are the best upgrades to shave maybe 1-2lbs off the bike? I would want to spend just a couple hundred dollars not thousands. Like would carbon cranks and bars be best, or should I spludge and get a carbon wheelset (which would not be just a couple hundred dollars)?

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
Buy it first before someone else does, otherwise it might be a different bike to have
to answer your question all over again, plus you could then weigh the bike to better
determine what might be changable to save weight : )

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 13:41 Quote
I am in the midst of buying it currently. The owner is a friend of mine and he told me that it was 26lbs so thats probably pretty close. I'll still double check when I get it.

Posted: May 22, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
Rotational weight first, furthest from the axis of rotation, so tires. Perceived weight loss will be more than actual. Work your way inward from there. About the only way to stay in budget.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 14:12 Quote
You won't get pounds out of this, but you could save a smidge of weight for not too much $ with lighter pedals and grips. I'd keep the dropper, but they are always kinda heavy. Maybe if the dropper has more travel than you need, you could trade someone for a lighter/shorter travel one? Cut down the bars if they're wider than you need. Go full dangerholm and remove the star nut after you install the stem. Clean out any tire sealant build up and don't put more in than your conditions require.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 14:27 Quote
GDub202 wrote:
Hey everyone! I'm planning purchasing this bike soon.
https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/3205977/
In it's current form it weighs 26lbs, which isn't bad, but I'd love to make it lighter.
My question is. What are the best upgrades to shave maybe 1-2lbs off the bike? I would want to spend just a couple hundred dollars not thousands. Like would carbon cranks and bars be best, or should I spludge and get a carbon wheelset (which would not be just a couple hundred dollars)?

Thin, XC race tires.
Crankbrothers eggbeater pedals
Remove the dropper post

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005720
Mobile Version of Website