DHX2 Do you prefer a stiffer coil with softer damping or vice versa?

PB Forum :: Downhill
DHX2 Do you prefer a stiffer coil with softer damping or vice versa?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 22, 2022 at 10:04 Quote
Hi everyone,

I have a question as the tittle suggests and i would like some feedback.

I have a DHX2 2021 shock with 3 different coils:
Coil 500lbs at 34%sag and i run it with relatively stiff damping otherwise i bottom out.
Coil 550lbs at 30% sag and i run it with medium damping otherwise i bottom out.
Coil 500-610lbs 30% progressive coil and i run it full open (the High Compression).

So in such a case what is the recommended setup?
Is there for instance a rule of thumb that could help here?
I know its impossible to suggest me without riding the bike but I am honestly having a hard time to decide i really like em all.

For those of you interested and want more details here is my setup for each coil:

Coil 500lbs
2 Turns preload
High comp: 12 from open
Low comp: 13 from open
High reb: 15 from slow
Low reb: 14 from slow

Coil 550lbs
0 Turns preload
High comp: 4 from open
Low comp: 10 from open
High reb: 12 from slow
Low reb: 10 from slow

Coil 500-610lbs
0 turns preload
High comp: 0 from open
Low comp: 10 from open
High reb: 10 from slow
Low reb: 8 from slow

Additional notes:
If i was forced to throw away one coil i think i would throw away the progressive coil because it feels non linear which is an amazing feeling of coils. So the progressive coil feels like i have less travel despite i cant bottom it out with a correct setup.
Additionally the 500-610 is at its softest setting so in case for some reason i need an even softer setup i cant get it with it.

Last but not least i ride anything from trails enduro single tracks to DH.
As a bottom out tester i have a high speed 1.2-1.5m drop to flat and i try to make sure i dont bottom out there or i bottom out very softly.
So thanks for any input and i am really looking forward for clever ideas and suggestions.
Smile

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 22:31 Quote
I like to set the preload so it has soft Intial stroke and the hs and LS compression to the recommended settings by fox of middle the road for my spring weight and the hs Ls rebound also to the recommended settings of fox for my weight of slow.

I use the spring fox suggest for my weight I feel like they are right on with their suggestions for the rear coil shock within 3 clicks of either direction usually with a little trial and error to fine tune.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 2:13 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
I like to set the preload so it has soft Intial stroke and the hs and LS compression to the recommended settings by fox of middle the road for my spring weight and the hs Ls rebound also to the recommended settings of fox for my weight of slow.

I use the spring fox suggest for my weight I feel like they are right on with their suggestions for the rear coil shock within 3 clicks of either direction usually with a little trial and error to fine tune.

I like to set the preload so it has soft initial stroke and the hs and LS compression to the recommended settings by fox for my spring weight and the hs Ls rebound also to the recommended settings from fox for my weight, within 3 clicks of either direction usually with a little trial and error to fine tune.

I use the spring fox suggest for my weight. I feel like they are right on with their suggestions for the rear coil shock.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 6:24 Quote
A soft spring and more HSC will feel plusher at lower speeds like technical stuff, roots etc but gain support at higher speeds. A firmer spring and less damping will feel more supportive at low speeds but maybe use too much travel at higher speeds. It really comes down to how fast you ride, the faster you go the more spring AND more damping you will need. In general I find a lower spring rate plusher for trail riding over technical terrain but I gets to a point when you start going fast that you need more support. Sometimes too low a spring rate can put the coil into the progressive part of the leverage of the bike and can actually feel harsher as it ramps up sooner on smaller hits... it really does come down to how hard and fast you hit stuff. Obviously rebound you will need to slow down the higher the spring rate you use and vice versa.

Watch this

https://youtu.be/EJELsCkYEDI

Previous Page | Next Page

Active Forum Threads
12 mins ago - Evil Owners Club
21 mins ago - Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
28 mins ago - Bird Aeris owners thread
1 hours ago - Morewood Bikes
1 hours ago - Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
1 hours ago - MTB Tech Rumors, Innovation and Prototypes
1 hours ago - Transition Patrol, Scout, Sentinel, Spur & Suppressor, Giddy Up & SBG Post your bike and discuss here!
2 hours ago - Code R brakes fading really bad
2 hours ago - 21’ Stumpjumper EVO thoughts
2 hours ago - AXS and river crossings
2 hours ago - 2013 Cannondale Trigger X-Fusion Rear Shock Issue
2 hours ago - Raw / Polished - Bikes & Frames - No paint allowed
2 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Port St. Lucie to Return Ex-Lover
2 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Yonkers, NY to Return Ex-Lover
2 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Des Moines to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Frisco, TX to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Modesto, CA to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Huntsville, AL to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - Psychic Reading +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Hialeah, FL to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - Trek session owners club
3 hours ago - Old Riders....But not "Old School"
3 hours ago - Psychic +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Spring Valley to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - 2022 Session...shock question
3 hours ago - Psychic +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells Tacoma, WA to Return Ex-Lover
3 hours ago - Psychic +1 (845) 295 3081 Love Spells San Bernardino to Return Ex-Lover

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005133
Mobile Version of Website