I got the forks powder coated but forgot to remove the sleeves

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
I got the forks powder coated but forgot to remove the sleeves
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 23, 2022 at 6:03 Quote
To be honest, i didn't forget i just didn't even realise they were in there.

Forks - 24" RST CapaT i think or RST Gila, They are from around 2007-2010 and came supplied on a Scott Nitrous JR24.

So basically, i got the bike cheap, my sons wants to get into bigger stuff and these seemed a great match, only thing is it was a bit tatty, so after a power coat of the frame and forks and a few new trick bits its looking great.

Unfortunately, when i dismantled the forks, i removed the seals but that was it and i believe prior to powder coating they go into an acid bath so there's no chance the sleeves are there.

Does anybody know where i could get some please, i'd rather not cut my losses and get some more forks but if i have to i have to it just seems a waste for what might be a £15 part.

Ian

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 12:53 Quote
Perhaps keep eye on Ebay for spares repairs.

Sleeves, you refering to them plastic inserts that act like bushings for the stantions
to slide within the lower ?

If so, I have some Rock Shox J2 lowers hanging up, they have plastic sleeve inserts for
as described above, they suit a 28mm stanchion and approx 100mm length as there
still in lower.

Let me know if these sound possible, can see about removing them from lower
to assertain a more accurate sizing for you.

I dont want anything for em as there only there for this kinda thing, got em of a bike that I
only wanted the frame, just cover the postage costs.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 6:23 Quote
watching, ebay, amazon, googled everywhere, the only ones that come up are the Suntour ones which at this stage i was getting close to trying.

I've also considered getting another set of forks of ebay so i have some spares

Jeez that would be awesome, i'll measure the stanchions with a caliper later, i think there 25.4 but i'll double check.

Ian

muddytreker wrote:
Perhaps keep eye on Ebay for spares repairs.

Sleeves, you refering to them plastic inserts that act like bushings for the stantions
to slide within the lower ?

If so, I have some Rock Shox J2 lowers hanging up, they have plastic sleeve inserts for
as described above, they suit a 28mm stanchion and approx 100mm length as there
still in lower.

Let me know if these sound possible, can see about removing them from lower
to assertain a more accurate sizing for you.

I dont want anything for em as there only there for this kinda thing, got em of a bike that I
only wanted the frame, just cover the postage costs.

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 11:59 Quote
"i'll measure the stanchions with a caliper later, i think there 25.4 but i'll double check"

If its still relevent I have just got a bike that is going to be cut up for its metal tubing
and parts, and it has some very budget forks with stanchion OD 25.25mm,
it may have the sleeves your after if your still on this.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005372
Mobile Version of Website