1 year off the bike, now what?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
1 year off the bike, now what?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 23, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
Hey guys, I've been mountain biking for like 6 - 7 years, I live in Canada so biking is like 6 months and I don't do much in the winter unfortunately... last summer I've struggled with depression and didn't ride at all. so it has been more than a year since I've last been riding. Now starting this new season I'm getting back on the bike. I find myself back to square one (no confidence, no strength, unable to ride most of the stuff I used to)...

So it's been a month now and riding every weekend and as much as I can on week night, I find myself making very little progress.

As Anyone been through this? What can I expect, how long is this gonna last? Anyways I can speed up the process to get back where I was? Any tips? Thanks.

Posted: May 23, 2022 at 17:56 Quote
Chloee wrote:
Hey guys, I've been mountain biking for like 6 - 7 years, I live in Canada so biking is like 6 months and I don't do much in the winter unfortunately... last summer I've struggled with depression and didn't ride at all. so it has been more than a year since I've last been riding. Now starting this new season I'm getting back on the bike. I find myself back to square one (no confidence, no strength, unable to ride most of the stuff I used to)...

So it's been a month now and riding every weekend and as much as I can on week night, I find myself making very little progress.

As Anyone been through this? What can I expect, how long is this gonna last? Anyways I can speed up the process to get back where I was? Any tips? Thanks.

If you can, figure out how to incorporate your bike into your daily commute - there are always a million reasons why you can't bike into work but if you can get started in some way you'll be glad you did and all those reasons you came up with get easier and easier to overcome. Side benefits include less commuting stress (even if you drive and park part way), you get to mentally unwind at the end of the day, and you'll get stronger.

Try to get a group of riding folks that are as committed as you are - they will increase your likelihood to hold to your commitment to ride, even when you don't want to, because there are others 'counting' on you.

Don't fear walking parts of your ride that you don't have the confidence or the strength to ride. You're still riding and you will improve just by getting time on your bike.

Find a winter sport to get outside - best case if it's truly wintery where you live get a fatbike and find some other fatbikers to ride with, it's awesome.

While I haven't experienced depression it has been all around me - it seems that exercise and outdoor activity helps, good luck finding ways to make it stick!

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 4:47 Quote
leftypumpkin wrote:

If you can, figure out how to incorporate your bike into your daily commute - there are always a million reasons why you can't bike into work but if you can get started in some way you'll be glad you did and all those reasons you came up with get easier and easier to overcome. Side benefits include less commuting stress (even if you drive and park part way), you get to mentally unwind at the end of the day, and you'll get stronger.

Try to get a group of riding folks that are as committed as you are - they will increase your likelihood to hold to your commitment to ride, even when you don't want to, because there are others 'counting' on you.

Don't fear walking parts of your ride that you don't have the confidence or the strength to ride. You're still riding and you will improve just by getting time on your bike.

Find a winter sport to get outside - best case if it's truly wintery where you live get a fatbike and find some other fatbikers to ride with, it's awesome.

While I haven't experienced depression it has been all around me - it seems that exercise and outdoor activity helps, good luck finding ways to make it stick!

Thank you for the great suggestions. Ive been thinking about commuting to work but it kinda ad 2 hours to my day.. I should probably get to it anyways.

Posted: May 24, 2022 at 18:17 Quote
To get my son out on his bike a little more we go once a week to a corner store a little further away and buy a lotto ticket, then of course bike back to check it…
You could always have a small loup you do and check the mail on the way back if you have a community box like we do. Instead of using it for groceries as this is a tough one, you could plan to pick up something small from a meat shop or whatever that fits in a backpack on your bike. If I need ketchup midweek, I might bike to a closer store to pick it up vs using a car, it’s more expensive at the corner store but it gets me biking I guess.
there’s lots of little ways to incorporate bikes into your life.
Fatbikes are tons of fun, a cheaper alternative is snowshoes.
Not sure your age group, Nordic walking is becoming popular too and goes thru winter, also a great way to meet people.
Hope it all works out for you, there’s a great community out there, sometimes we’re all just hard to find

Posted: Jun 18, 2022 at 21:21 Quote
I’m in a similar situation to the original poster. I just got a new bike, an indoor spin bike and a fatbike. I dont want excuses or environmental conditions to cause me to have an excuse here in Alberta

I plan to incorporate weight lifting to try to build up strength faster than just biking. Have you thought about that? I feel so weak that I need something to tone the body as well.

I hope you feel happy and positive. I’m sure you will be feeling strong soon enough

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005747
Mobile Version of Website