We don't talk about staff cuts... No, no, no...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
We don't talk about staff cuts... No, no, no...
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 9:10 Quote
This topic is relevant due to the All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country content that we'll now never get to see.

It's pretty amazing that the big-wigs at Outside shut down Beta (and Peloton) and fired all of the staff (except the video guy), and there's not a peep about this news on PB's homepage. They made a post when Bike mag shut down...

Is Outside now censoring PB? What else aren't we seeing?

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2022/05/23/outside-shifts-toward-digital-and-online-makes-staff-cuts-and-shuts-beta

A gem from Robin -

“The goal is really to create more immersive, high-quality storytelling,” Thurston said. “We’ll still have some print. But on a move-forward basis, we’re really trying to move into more high-quality video.”

But just a year ago: "Mountain biking is North America's fastest-growing outdoor sport, with record sales and participation in 2020," said Thurston. "With our cycling expertise and new technology platform, POM is uniquely positioned to serve this market — and get even more riders out on trails.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 12:29 Quote
They own the website. It makes 100% sense why they would not air their dirt laundry on here.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
Hopefully pink bike racing was already paid up for the season..

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 20:48 Quote
If that is what's happening (I have no idea), that's not what censorship is.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
Just a little transparency goes a long way with keeping your customers satisfied. It’s almost like outside doesn’t give two shits about their subscribers. I signed up for beta a few months ago, was satisfied with my subscription and looked forward to the mag. I find out through a laid off employee that it’s done and over with and I’m waiting to here from outside about where my yearly subscription fee ended up and what the next step is.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

I wouldn’t be surprise if they sandbag everyone at pinkbike too.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
barp wrote:
If that is what's happening (I have no idea), that's not what censorship is.

So, if Pinkbike wanted to run an article, and Outside said no you cannot run that because it makes us look bad... Pretty sure that's a form of censorship.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 15:57 Quote
ryanlabar wrote:
barp wrote:
If that is what's happening (I have no idea), that's not what censorship is.

So, if Pinkbike wanted to run an article, and Outside said no you cannot run that because it makes us look bad... Pretty sure that's a form of censorship.

Lol no. A media company choosing what information their own platform headlines isn't censorship. Outside deleting negative comments aimed at them would be a form of censorship.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
HaydukeLives wrote:
Just a little transparency goes a long way with keeping your customers satisfied. It’s almost like outside doesn’t give two shits about their subscribers. I signed up for beta a few months ago, was satisfied with my subscription and looked forward to the mag. I find out through a laid off employee that it’s done and over with and I’m waiting to here from outside about where my yearly subscription fee ended up and what the next step is.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

I wouldn’t be surprise if they sandbag everyone at pinkbike too.

This for me too. I've been a subscriber to Beta from the beginning. Just renewed my subscription for $50. It's a steep price for only 4 issues a year, but I believe in supporting print media. Now I find out that the magazine gets closed and I'm just SOL for all that money I just sent them. I have zero faith that Outside will do the right thing and refund my subscription.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
jblaski wrote:
HaydukeLives wrote:
Just a little transparency goes a long way with keeping your customers satisfied. It’s almost like outside doesn’t give two shits about their subscribers. I signed up for beta a few months ago, was satisfied with my subscription and looked forward to the mag. I find out through a laid off employee that it’s done and over with and I’m waiting to here from outside about where my yearly subscription fee ended up and what the next step is.

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

I wouldn’t be surprise if they sandbag everyone at pinkbike too.

This for me too. I've been a subscriber to Beta from the beginning. Just renewed my subscription for $50. It's a steep price for only 4 issues a year, but I believe in supporting print media. Now I find out that the magazine gets closed and I'm just SOL for all that money I just sent them. I have zero faith that Outside will do the right thing and refund my subscription.

i’m in the same boat as you. really bad look on the company. i just renewed mine last month LOL

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 18:02 Quote
Call your credit card company and ask for a refund

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
Beta tests and PB reviews videos were exactly the same. Why do two of the same thing? One had to go, which is why Outside bought Beta. Buy it to close it down, that’s how big corporations think and act.

Good luck Travis.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 11:45 Quote
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
Beta tests and PB reviews videos were exactly the same. Why do two of the same thing? One had to go, which is why Outside bought Beta. Buy it to close it down, that’s how big corporations think and act.

Good luck Travis.

Outside didn't buy Beta. They (pre group name change) hired the Bike magazine staff to start their own mag. They did buy Pinkbike though....

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 12:58 Quote
Lol no. A media company choosing what information their own platform headlines isn't censorship.

There is a term for this: Self-Censorship.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 17:56 Quote
ryanlabar wrote:
Lol no. A media company choosing what information their own platform headlines isn't censorship.

There is a term for this: Self-Censorship.

You do realize they themselves ran the story with full detail, yea? Its linked in the first post.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006334
Mobile Version of Website