MEC internally geared bike issue

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
MEC internally geared bike issue
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 18:10 Quote
I am new Calgarian and recently bought a used MEC bike with integrated (internal) 7 gear system. When I was test riding it, I noticed the bike feel like chain is skipping on 4th and 5th gear. I went back and the person fiddled with a nut on the gear wire near the rear wheel integrated gear system and it became okay. The person (from this used bike place) told me it would be okay now and I went ahead and purchased it. Now on its first ride after purchase, it is skipping again on 5th gear. Other than this issue, I love the bike but I feel shattered that this is happening. Is this an easy fix? Please recommend a solution. Thanks.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 20:47 Quote
What's the make and model of the hub? That will determine how it's supposed to be adjusted.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 16:42 Quote
IbteeYYC wrote:
I am new Calgarian and recently bought a used MEC bike with integrated (internal) 7 gear system. When I was test riding it, I noticed the bike feel like chain is skipping on 4th and 5th gear. I went back and the person fiddled with a nut on the gear wire near the rear wheel integrated gear system and it became okay. The person (from this used bike place) told me it would be okay now and I went ahead and purchased it. Now on its first ride after purchase, it is skipping again on 5th gear. Other than this issue, I love the bike but I feel shattered that this is happening. Is this an easy fix? Please recommend a solution. Thanks.

At the end of the day, if it's not working, MEC have an excellent returns policy, so you should be safe to get your money back if all else fails.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 20:02 Quote
benhg wrote:
IbteeYYC wrote:

At the end of the day, if it's not working, MEC have an excellent returns policy, so you should be safe to get your money back if all else fails.

Says it's a used bike. Return policy may not apply.

Posted: May 28, 2022 at 17:00 Quote
barp wrote:
benhg wrote:
IbteeYYC wrote:

I think it should be fine as long as they didn't sign anything saying it was " as is ", or " final sale "
https://www.mec.ca/en/explore/returns-and-guarantee

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:01 Quote
barp wrote:
What's the make and model of the hub? That will determine how it's supposed to be adjusted.

Hi there,

It is a Shimano Nexus hub. Also, On the side it says CJ-NX10 Shimano. The issue is not limited to a specific gear. It happens in 3, 4 or 5 gear at its own whim.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:04 Quote
benhg wrote:
barp wrote:
benhg wrote:

I think it should be fine as long as they didn't sign anything saying it was " as is ", or " final sale "

Hi Ben,

I bought it used from a charity who get donated bikes and then use the proceeds from bike sales to help underprivileged school kids. However, they had assured me that this issue would go away with a minor adjustment which it did at time of sale. I would feel awful taking the bike back and demanding refund from a charity. Also, I love this bike and how it feels. If the gear issue can be resolved with a bit of money or effort, I would like to keep it rather than restart my bike hunt.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 17:46 Quote
Sounds like this is the service manual for your hub:

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/SG0003/DM-SG0003-08-ENG.pdf

Long story short, when the gear shifter is on #4, the yellow lines on the cassette joint unit (the part that says CJ-NX10 on it) should be perfectly aligned. You can turn the barrel adjuster to make them align properly.

If this is already the case, you may be dealing with a sticky shift cable, or the hub may need its oil change/overhaul service.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
IbteeYYC wrote:
benhg wrote:
barp wrote:

Hi Ben,

I bought it used from a charity who get donated bikes and then use the proceeds from bike sales to help underprivileged school kids. However, they had assured me that this issue would go away with a minor adjustment which it did at time of sale. I would feel awful taking the bike back and demanding refund from a charity. Also, I love this bike and how it feels. If the gear issue can be resolved with a bit of money or effort, I would like to keep it rather than restart my bike hunt.
Its likely cable stretch, ttshould be solved with a quick adjustment.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
barp wrote:
Sounds like this is the service manual for your hub:

https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/storage/pdf/en/dm/SG0003/DM-SG0003-08-ENG.pdf

Long story short, when the gear shifter is on #4, the yellow lines on the cassette joint unit (the part that says CJ-NX10 on it) should be perfectly aligned. You can turn the barrel adjuster to make them align properly.

If this is already the case, you may be dealing with a sticky shift cable, or the hub may need its oil change/overhaul service.

Thanks Barp. I will go through the manual in detail and see if there is something else that can be done as I already tried some of the stuff that was appropriate to this model using some Youtube videos. Just a recap of what I did (I apologize for not using the correct terminology as I am still new to bikes), I adjusted the measurement of this bike to 101 mm (It was at 115 mm previously) and it just made it harder to go beyond gear 4. Then I used a measurement of 105 mm and it was able to access all 7 gears now but still facing the gear skipping issue in gear 3 or 4. I also aligned the two yellow lines using the barrel adjuster. That did not help either.

I am not sure what my best recourse is here. I will look at the manual and hopefully see something that works but seems to me that I am in over my head lol. The charity has a no-refund policy it seems and may not take the bike back even though they committed that this issue won't happen after the minor tweak they did at time of sale. If I go to a bike shop, they may fix it but there is no guarantee this won't start happening a day later and all those repair charges may go down the drain. The bike does not seem like it has been used too much (seems like a 2 year old model) so I am guessing it does not require the oil change/ overhaul service at this point.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
IbteeYYC wrote:
benhg wrote:

Hi Ben,

Its likely cable stretch, ttshould be solved with a quick adjustment.

Hey Ajax,

I wish it was that simple. I spent the better part of today educating myself on this subject and trying to fix it. There was cable stretch which caused the gear 1 to not even do anything and the nut on the cable was kind of free when I accessed it. However, now that. I tried to do the 101 mm manufacturer recommended measurement, it ruled out the gears 5, 6 and 7. There is a nut at start of cable which I felt was the culprit in this measurement so I added its length to cable and came to 105 mm which allowed me now to access all 7 gears but the test ride came back with almost same issue. I do not know what else to do really.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 20:50 Quote
Does the yellow indicator line up properly? If not it will shift between the gearts as you ride which will feel similar to slipping. It may also be due for a dippin

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 21:19 Quote
ajax-ripper wrote:
Does the yellow indicator line up properly? If not it will shift between the gearts as you ride which will feel similar to slipping. It may also be due for a dippin

Yes the yellow lines lined up after my adjustment but that did not help. I will have to take it to an expert I guess. I cannot think of anything else to do. I did not really learn anything new for this issue from the manual kindly shared by Barp above. Hopefully, the expert knows something that can be easily done.

Posted: May 29, 2022 at 22:05 Quote
Look up the nexus dipping procedure I suspect this will be your next step.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006871
Mobile Version of Website